Browsing: Tips for Graying Hair

Cover the Gray with Tea!

I homeschool my daughter, and in one of the stories that we were reading (Neighbor Rosicky by Willa Cather), a 1920's frontier woman covered her graying hair with a brew of strong tea. I tried it, and it works! It doesn't completely cover the gray, but it does make it less noticable, and only costs the price of a tea bag per day. Nancy from PA

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

How much tea and how do you do it? It sounds like a good thing for me.

Hi Starla,

I brew a very strong mug of black (regular) tea with 2 or 3 tea bags. After it cools, I comb as much as I need into my hair after I shampoo in the morning. I have found that it covers better if I dry my hair first, then comb the tea in. If you comb it in when your hair is still wet from the shampoo, you won't get as good coverage, and you'll get all that brown color on your bath towel.

You can store the unused tea for the next day or two, but don't keep it past a week, or it will begin to get moldy! I would advise brewing small amounts at a time.

Good luck!

Nancy from PA

One of the best things I ever did for myself was to let my hair go grey. After reading some of your comments, I knew I had to write myself. My scalp tends to be oily. So I need to wash my hair every day especially in the warm weather. The strands of my hair are fine, but it is very thick. If I let it grow, I feel hot as if I am wearing a hat or wig. So I keep my grey hair short, but sometimes I worry that my hair is my crowning glory (my best asset) and I'm depriving myself of it. Anyway, I recommend a good, healthy diet for good hair. To keep it shiny, use cool water in the last rinse. Rinse out your shampoo until you think you have all the suds out and then rinse it once again. I never use conditioner on my hair. Its not damaged from coloring so I don't feel it needs it. My hair is full, thick, shiny and youthful without the extra additives. Sometimes I think they just make your hair limp and adhere to the strands of hair when they are not needed. Who needs buildup?! My son suggests using a different shampoo once in awhile to prevent product buildup. I think thats a good idea. Also, I would like to add, please do NOT use hairspray. I think it makes your hair look old and like a helmet. I only use it on my bangs when they start to get too long.. and then I use as little as possible. Enjoy yourself. You're beautiful just the way you are! There is no need to fear maturity. Grey is beautiful!

woman with graying hair
Tips for Graying Hair
Coloring Gray Hair
Coloring Gray Hair
ARDELL Gray Magic Color Additive
Ardell Gray Magic Color Additive Reviews
gray haired woman
Dyeing My Hair Gray
Tea Cup and Saucer on White Background
Crafts Using Tea Cups and Saucers
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 24, 2016 at 9:41:53 AM on 10.0.0.227 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.