Dyeing My Hair Gray

Category Coloring
gray haired woman
Looking to finish what nature has started, or seeking a different hair statement; dyeing your hair gray or silver may be the answer. This is a guide about dyeing my hair gray.

This is a guide about where can I buy gray or silver hair dye? If you need to dye your hair, finding the right shade of dye is important.

An older woman with gray hair.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I would like to know how I can permanently dye my hair silver gray?
Someone needs to sell it in a bottle, so I can do it myself. I love my gray hair and don't need blondes, browns, etc.

Ann from Bethel, MN

Best Answer

I use Pantene Silver Expressions. It really takes the yellow out.

Where can I find a product to dye my hair grey?

By James

Best Answer

As a former cosmetologist, I can confirm that there is currently no way to 'dye' hair grey. Grey hair is hair that is missing all pigment, because it is no longer being produced. If you were to bleach your hair enough to remove ALL pigment, which is next to impossible, you would have very little hair left. The closest you will come for now, with the help of a cosmetologist, is to go platinum blonde, which is a high lift bleaching process followed by a cool (blue-violet) toner to balance out any remaining yellow pigment in your hair. But even with that there will still be color in your strands, and even more color left if your hair is darker. Some hair is so naturally loaded with pigment, it won't go any lighter than an orange-ish yellow, even with repeated bleaching.

Not good for your hair, or your skin and organs (we absorb some of everything that comes in contact with our skin). That said, unless you are a good candidate for platinum, realistically you're going to have to just wait until your hair stops producing pigment on its own. Sorry! PS- that was a great idea another reader had about getting the highlights, far less damage plus an overall brightening effect.

My hair is naturally, dark-brown. I want it to be a standout, dazzling silver/white hair color. How can I achieve this? Can you recommend any products?

By Ceeci

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I would buy a good wig. They are very natural looking, then if you don't like it you can just take it off.

My hair was platinum blonde a month ago so I decided to dye my hair silver-lilac today and I didn't quite like it so I tried to re-dye my hair pure silver and it turned pure lilac. Should I have bleached my hair before re-dyeing it? The brand I used was La Riché.

Answers

Looks fine to me. Live with it for awhile!

Anonymous

I love it shades of purple r in in fashion u c it every where in hair now more

My hair is white. I want to color it silver gray. How?

By yani

You have to start with a white or platinum blonde base. Then tone your hair vith a violet/ blue-violet toner. Manic Panic Virgin Snow Toner works.

In a stupid moment I put my hair in a pony and cut off about 6". The hair on top is 100% white while the back is 25% gray. I have been coloring it dark brown since 20s when the top turned white. Now without all that hair I see that the top is actually a dark ashy brown while the back is med auburn/mahogany which is probably closer to my long ago natural color. It looks like I have ombre hair. I can't afford to go to a pro every 3 weeks for the roots, so I do it myself. I colored the roots once since the cut because they were really white, but used a semi perm #5 brown whereas in the past I always used #4 brown.

My question is, I need to do the roots again and want to go back to a permanent color, but closer to the med auburn, preferably mahogany. I am not sure, but I think I should find the color, do all roots then in the last 10 minutes pull through back only, leaving the really dark brown on top alone. I think that while it's shorter I'll get rid of that dark color by trims and layers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm a bit lost.

I went into my salon and all 3 stylists gave me different solutions. Mostly they recommended adding highlights/lowlights to the top which I don't want to do. Is my idea the best route to go or should I try and lift some of the long accumulated dark color? Thx so much! My hair type is wavy, thick, and very course on top. There is no breakage or other damage. The previous perm color was Loreal Dark Ash Brown.

I'm a 60 year old woman. My hair is almost all gray. I would like to know where I can get a dye to make it all gray. I bought some a long time ago, but now I can't find it. Thankyou.

Lorraine from Zolfo Springs

Answers:

Dying My Hair Gray

I too am a 60 yr old woman. This year I let my hair go natural. It is mostly charcoal with white in it like frosting. Why don't you just go with what you have instead of coloring your hair. Salt and pepper is very pretty and age appropriate for us. (05/05/2006)

By Carol in PA

Dying My Hair Gray

I am 68. I let my hair go "natural" a few years ago. It's white and silver. I like it. And it's so nice not to have to dye it all the time. (05/05/2006)

By Pam3334

Dying My Hair Gray

I am a hairdresser and I can't imagine what you bought and put on your hair years ago, you cannot make artificial gray hair unless you bleach it out to a pale yellow and then put a platinum toner on it. (05/05/2006)

By Priscilla

Dying My Hair Gray

I am 53 and sick of dying my salt and pepper hair. I remember when Clairol sold hair color that was different shades of gray or silver. They even sold it in the 1990's. Its gone now and all they offer is bleach the color out and put camarel highlights. Sucks! (05/15/2008)

By Pris

Dying My Hair Gray

Sad to say, my grey hairs would make me just a dishwater color! But I know that they do have rinses to keep your grey hair from getting too yellow. Look for those at a beauty supply shop, like Sally's, where they have a range of choices. I think grey can be very attractive. (05/16/2008)

By pamphyila