Dyeing My Hair Gray

I would like to know how I can permanently dye my hair silver gray?
Someone needs to sell it in a bottle, so I can do it myself. I love my gray hair and don't need blondes, browns, etc.

Ann from Bethel, MN

Best Answer

I use Pantene Silver Expressions. It really takes the yellow out.

I'm a 38 year old who has never dyed my hair (even in the '80s when it started gaining popularity!). I am going silver and white that is mixing with my natural brown and get so many compliments on my hair it's almost embarassing (one woman even asked how I got my hair dresser to color so many individual hairs rather than clumps of hair!)! I'm always so delighted with women who have let their natural hair show through, since it's so rare in this day of trying to stay looking 18. Flaunt what you got!

I started going silver/white at 24. I was blonde and I frosted regulary for years. Then the white started to look like highlights. I tried to keep frosting and dying but eventually, even when professionally done,the color wouldn't hold for very long. I gave it up and I get a lot of complements about my hair. I also use Pantene for silver. Be careful using rinses to often. They can give a blue tint if over done. I believe it helps it from yellowing. So I say, if at all possible, embrace you grey. It's unique.

I let my hair color itself grey and am VERY pleased with the results. Somehow it knew how to do it all on its own!. I know that sounds funny but I have spent a lot of money over the years on expensive frostings with foil. After I decided to let nature take its course, wonderful things happened. My hair is now charcoal grey with silver highlights on the top. Be sure to ask your hairdresser to cut your hair to take advantage of its color. I like mine cut up the back to let the dark hair show. The silver just lays over the top like highlights. I get compliments on it.

I dont use Pantene for Silver hair, but I've heard good things about it. Sometimes the water or hair products makes the silver in your hair turn yellow. Thats not good. I understand what you mean.

I agree with you. I dont like what I call "old lady blond." Far too many of the older women where I live have dyed their hair blond. All the strand of hair in their heads are the same shade. They all have the same color hair! ..It doesnt look natural.

You will notice that some people with grey hair have a streak either dark or light similar to Jay Leno!. I say go with what you have and dont dye your hair. You will find it to be one of the best things you have ever done in your life like I did.

Good luck

I've been going gray for years and now have just about made it all the way. I am always being complimented on my hair and all I use is Jhirmack Silver Brightening shampoo for gray, blonde, bleached or highlighted hair. It is only about $4 for a 20 oz bottle and lasts a long time. The shampoo is vivid purple, but only makes your hair a shiny gray without any yellow. I shampoo every day, or very nearly. Hope this helps.

You can check out this webpage http://www.greyhairdye.org it has useful tips.

I went gray quit early I loved my gray hair. It was Pepper/salt for awhile then turned salt/pepper- sliver shiny- I loved it. My mother was on me all the time saying it made her look older because if I were gray then they would guess her age as older and she said I had to many years of being gray, please dye it. Well, I did. I looked good, pasted as younger but I felt fake. My eyebrows were very dark so the dyed hair looked natural folks were surprised if I told them that I dyed it. But I long for my gray hair. The dye is hurting me hair now at the roots. I would also like to find a dye so I can softly strip the color then dye it a gray and let my hair grow out naturally. Very tempted to do the platinum things. How I hate that idea.