What is Matzo?

Can anyone tell me, what is matzo?

Nicole from Canada

I believe it is usually spelled "maztoh" pronounced ma-zah - and is the Jewish unleavened bread that they use in their passover celebrations. It is sort of like a cracker in consistency. It is sold in boxes at the supermarket in the Kosher section. (The production is supervised by rabbis to ensure that it is made according to Jewish law.) This is a non-Jewish explanation - but I hope it's sufficient.

I will try to explain it as best as I can. Yes I am Jewish. Matzoh is basically bread for use during the week long holiday of passover.

Passover is a commemoration of the time when the we left slavery in the times of Pharoahs. We did not have enough time to bake bread we were to leave in a hurry so they had made the dough but it did not have time to rise so they put on their shoulders and the sun baked it so it turned into a matzoh like object so in order to remember that point we eat matzoh. It is made out flour and water and has to be bake in 18 minutes. if not we cannot use it. it can be made by hand or by machine some people will only use hand made matzoh. no we do not have any bread products in the home or to eat during passover.

I hope this answered your ?

patty g

You can read in Exodus chapter 12 why Passover is celebrated. Specifically verses 14-15 tell us that it was the Lord's command that his people eat unleavened bread. I'm sure this is more information than you wanted, but I just had to give God credit as to why the Passover is celebrated with unleavened bread.

God bless you all.

I well understand the passover and value what happen in exodus, it just that I've been looking at some recipe of Jewish cooking, and was wondering it it was some type of flour? There is a lot of vocabulary that I don't know what they mean. I'm just interested in learning to enjoy some common meal.

Editor's Note: Here's a good link with a recipe: http://www.angelfire.com/pa2/passov ... es-pesach/matzo-recipe-fat-free.html

Matzo Bread
What is Matzo?
Matzo Pizza
Matzo Pizza Recipes
Fried Matzo
Fried Matzo Recipes