1st Birthday Party Ideas

My son is turning 1 soon and this is my first time organizing a birthday party. I need some ideas for how to go about doing that.

By Maata from Auckland, New Zealand

Answers

I would say don't over-plan the allotted time. My daughter-in-law simply let us guests enjoy a nice visit while we admired my grandson. (If I'm repeating my previous attempt at a post for this, I apologize!)

January 18, 2010 Flag

My son is going to be one year old on October 27th and I really need great ideas for the birthday party that won't cost a lot of money. All the children are going to be younger than 1 year old. I really need ideas for keeping them occupied, treat bags, food, etc. There are about 7 babies and about 29 adults. I want it to be special it's an important birthday. If anyone could think of anything memorable please let me know.

Rachel from Kitchener, Ontario

Answers:

Ideas for One Year Old's Birthday Party

The babies aren't going to remember anything or even care. Do whatever the adults would like to do. Be sure and have the cake for the baby to play in though. (07/10/2008)

By Noella

Ideas for One Year Old's Birthday Party

Are you giving the baby a party or the adults? The babies will not need treat bags. Instead, have 3-4 throw away cameras handy for some of the adults to use taking "cute" pictures of the babies playing with stuffed animals or balls. A video camera, too if possible. And let them eat small pieces of cake and ice cream, whipped cream, jello, the bigger the mess the cuter the pictures will be. Have the moms and dads clean up their own babies. That will be another photo op.

Lots of pictures and put names and dates on them. You'll be glad you did. Then have copies made for the parents of each baby. And any of the rest of the group that wants them. If it is too cold in October to be outside, put a sheet or shower curtain down on the floor so most of the mess stays on that. It doesn't take long for one year olds to get tired out and need a nap. Another photo-op, sleeping babies.

Great Granny Vi (07/10/2008)

By Great Granny Vi

Ideas for One Year Old's Birthday Party

I agree with the previous poster that the babies are not going to know anything about this celebration. This is a party for grandparents, relatives, and the parents. Take lots of pictures. Let the kids eat cake. Decorate the cake if you want to, but do it for your own enjoyment and for the adults. A one year old baby won't know the difference between a cake decorated like a train or one that looks like a cake. The baby will likely get a kick out of blowing out the candle, and maybe you will want to do that several times, and be sure to have this captured in a photo.

One year olds don't need treat bags. And kids less than that certainly don't need them. (07/11/2008)

By louel53

Ideas for One Year Old's Birthday Party

I disagree with the above posts that say the babies are not going to care. They may not remember, but they still have fun, as is evident whenever I play with my son or we go on playdates. I play with my baby everyday and watch him play and laugh and enjoy things that are babyish, so I have no desire to have a "grownup" party.

As for an inexpensive party, I am already planning his first birthday in November: I have been saving formula and coffee cans to make into drums for the babies. I did this because one of his favorite things to do is bang on an empty coffee can. I am planning on decorating it by gluing wrapping or craft paper to it and maybe painting each baby guest's name on it. Since the lids come off, I want to find something baby-safe and cheap to put in each one, but I am not sure what yet. I am going to make it a music themed party and one of the guests will play an acoustic guitar for about 20 minutes, which the babies always seem to enjoy watching on a playdate, and they can bang away on their drums if they are so inclined. If you do not know anyone who plays a guitar you could just play a CD that your baby likes; I have never seen a baby who does not clap or get excited to music when their parents seem excited about the music too.

I was also thinking a lot about food and the more I think about it, the shorter the party should be, because babies get fussy after about 2 hours. That means I do not think I am going to serve food, just have a dessert party. This is substantially less cost: the cake (cute for photos), coffee, and drinks for the adults, maybe juice for the older babies, soft fruits sliced up, and some Nabisco Arrowroot teething crackers which are also good cookies for adults to eat, too.

I hope that helps.
(08/13/2009)

By Elysia_J

1st Birthday Party Ideas
1st Birthday Party Ideas
Holidays and Parties Parties BirthdayJanuary 18, 2010
baby wearing bow
Making an Infant Bow Tie
Bicycle Themed Birthday Party
Bicycle Themed Birthday Party Ideas
baby at photo shoot
Making a 1st Birthday Hat and Diaper Cover
letters as photo prop
1st Birthday Photo Prop
🎄