Making an Infant Bow Tie
I made this bow tie for my son's 1st birthday. They are easy to make and would be great for any special occasion.
- 1/4-1/2 yd fabric (depending on directionality of print)
- double sided fusible interfacing
- elastic (1/8 in. wide)
- For the center: Create a template using cardboard that measures 2" x 3". Cut it out. Place the template for the center piece onto the fabric, trace around it, and cut it out.
- Fold the center piece in half lengthwise, right sides together. Pin in place and sew together using a 1/4" seam. Then turn right side out. Press with an iron.
- Fold in half and sew along the short side with a 1/4" seam. Then turn it so that the seam is on the inside.
- For the bow: Create a template using cardboard that measures 5.25" x 3.25". Cut it out. Fold the fabric over just enough to place the bow template on the fold, trace around it, and cut it out. Then refold the fabric and cut out a second piece.
- Cut a strip of interfacing 10" x 2.75". Center it on the back of one of the bow pieces. Iron it in place (following package instructions).
- Place the two bow pieces, right sides together, and pin in place. Then sew them together using a 1/4" seam. Leave a small opening for turning it right side out. Then clip the corners of the fabric.
- Remove the paper backing on the interfacing and turn the bow right side out.
- Sew the opening shut, then iron the two pieces together (following package instructions).
- Fold the bow tie piece in half and sew the short sides together using a 1/4" seam. Then turn it so that the seam is on the inside.
- Accordion fold the bow piece, as shown below. Then slip it through the center piece to hold it in place.
- For the neck strap: Measure your baby's neck and create a template for the neck piece. It should be the neck measurement plus 1". Cut it out and trace it onto the fabric.
- Fold it lengthwise, right sides together, and sew using a 1/4" seam.
- Turn it right side out and press with an iron. Finish off the ends of the neck strap by turning the fabric in at the ends. Tuck a small loop of elastic into the seam at one end, and sew both ends shut. Test fit the neck strap on the baby and sew the button on at the proper place on the strap.
- Slip the neck strap through the center piece of the bow tie.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.