Make Your Own Scarecrow
I am getting ready to put my scarecrow in the front yard. You can make your own for so much less money, plus you can use your creative side, or in my case my grandson's help to assemble the scarecrow. Here is what you will need.
- one shirt
- one pair of old pants
- hat of your choice
- old white/cream pillowcase for face, or scrap fabric
- plastic shopping bags or old newspapers
- safety pins
- sturdy string - I use my string I get from the butcher, narrow rope will also work
- small amounts of straw or raffia
- permanent markers for facial features
When you have everything you need, here are the steps we take to put together our scarecrow.
- Button, zip, or close the shirt and pants where necessary, tie ends of shirt arms and pant legs closed with string or rope.
- Stuff full with bags or newspaper.
- Use safety pins to attach shirt to pants at waist.
- Stuff pillowcase into size and shape of a face. Use a permanent marker for facial features. Tuck into the neck opening of shirt, and secure with safety pins. Pin on hat.
- Stuff a little straw or raffia into the neck opening edges, and the arm and leg openings. Glue in place if necessary.
Now that you have the basic scarecrow in place, consider the ways you can make it personal! You can vary the type of clothes from an old fashioned farmer or whatever character works for your family. Insert flexible wire into the arms and legs before you pin the body together for a poseable scarecrow. This at least gives you the basic idea. You can make as many or few scarecrows, provided what materials you have on hand. This is so much fun. My five year old grandson can't wait to come over this afternoon and put together our scarecrows.
By Bobbie from Rockwall
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Article
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on December 8, 2016 at 10:15:15 PM on 10.0.2.166 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us