Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Reattaching a Pot Lid Handle

I have a pot lid made of fairly thin stainless steel. This morning while washing the lid, its handle popped off. It appears to have had two simple spot welds holding the handle to the lid.

How might I reattach the handle rather than throwing the whole thing away. It has a large insert for cooking and draining pasta and a steamer too. The cheapest welder would charge $35, which is much more than its original cost.

Micky Lee from San Francisco, CA

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Jazzylazzy (Guest Post)01/28/2009

Who needs a handle? Just use hotpads when you need to. I have this experience everyday in my kitchen because most of my pots and pans are old and have lost the handles.

01/27/2009

Check into school programs such as welding shop in a high school or college. Our trainees love to get different jobs than the ordinary curriculum. The professor will always watch over their work. Good luck.

By (Guest Post)01/27/2009

Get some J B Weld it is amazing stuff that really works!

By Patricia Nicholas [13]01/27/2009

I really wouldn't use an epoxy on a food item, and I know welding shops are expensive. You could try an auto accessory store, the kind that installs truck tops and steps and such. They usually have a welder who could do it (probably not pretty but servicable), or ask them about riveting the handle. Rivets work like nuts and bolts without all the bulk and they don't come loose. They will probably look at you like you are nuts, but I used to work at an accessory store and we would weld and rivet all sorts of things that had nothing to do with a truck.
Just a tip on the cost...They'll do almost anything for free if you take them some food, or offer to bring them some pizza for lunch.

By Kim Churchman [3]01/26/2009

I took my favorite pot and broken handle to a welder way out in the country on my way to church. He was unhappy with the weld being not as beautiful as he wanted, it was fine for me, and it's been strong ever since, even full and heavy. BTW - he wouldn't take a penny!

By Cajun [55]01/25/2009

Locate a Welding Shop in your locale and ask if they can spot weld it for you...it will be a little expensive, but if you value the cookware, it'll be a permanent fix..even a Community College has Welding Classes and the Instructor can repair it for you...

By P.Rosendahl [1]01/23/2009

If you choose to use a bolt and nut to reattach the handle to the pot use only STAINLESS STEEL bolts. It should be 18/8 grade, which is carried in hardware stores. The 18/8 grade will not rust. Using a magnet it Must Not be attracted to the magnet (the 18/8 grade will not be attracted to the magnet and will not rust). If the magnet is attracted to the stainless steel it will rust. There are many alloys of stainless steel and you must use one that is non-magnetic.

By Carrie Hulce [2]01/23/2009

Depending on the way the handle is designed you might be able to use a small screw and a nut to re-attach the handle. But, if it looks like the handle was just stuck on to the top, there is a glue called E6000 that you can get, it works for most products. A little bit goes a long way. It is a little more expensive than most glues out there, but it is well worth it. You can find it in most craft stores, super centers, etc.

By RD (Guest Post)01/23/2009

They don't make stuff like they used to anymore. There is a couple of cheap fixes you can do. You can drill a hole through the handle and top and use a bolt and nut to secure it. Or, you can buy JB Weld at an auto store. It can handle a constant temperature of up to 500 degrees.
I am a cooking freak! So I have pots with a lifetime warranty. They were expensive but I love them more than my dog. Good luck with the top!

By Harry (Guest Post)01/23/2009

You could try a two part epoxy adhesive. They sell them at Home Depot and Lowes. The container has two tubes with a adhesive in one tube and the hardner in the other. Dispersing the trigger both items come out at the same time. You then mix them together. One part can be white the other black. Mix them until they have a uniform color. Apply to the pot and attache the handle.Best if you can apply a weight or a clamp to the pot and lid. Some epoxies take up to 24 hours to cure. Cost can be 6 to 10 bucks. Forget the super glue.