Homemade Laundry Tabletop

contest winner icon

My husband and I just purchased and had delivered a new front load washer and dryer. We have 4 children with us in the house and all of us use the washer and dryer. (Yes the kids do their own laundry.) We got to thinking how much money we spent on these, only to have things put on the top of them and getting scratched.

So we built a usable "table top" to store laundry detergent, softener and other items as each of us are using the washer and dryer. It is made of wood. We used felt to cover the wood and better protect the surface of the washer and dryer. Then we covered it with a fabric of choice. We used a homespun fabric that matched our home decor. We are also going to be covering the top with some kind of plastic sheeting to protect the fabric from getting stained and dirty that can easily be wiped down.

By Darlene from Lafayette, IN

Top Comment

I would coat the fabric with either a clear polyurethane paint or this stuff they sell in hobby stores that sort of pours on but dries like a sheet of plexiglass on top.

Looks nice and thanks for the great tip!

Top Comment

You might use sheet vinyl to cover; usually available by the yard, or after this cover is ready to redo consider a large vinyl fabric backed tablecloth cutting it to size. Your project is very nice, good job!

Wow that looks great! What a good idea, thanks for sharing :)

Great idea, looks fine. I cannot find the top of my machines under the clutter, sad to say. We have a newer model washer and an old seldom used drier (kids are, who did their own laundry, are grown and moved out). a new topper would force me to clean up! Wyncia

I love it because it is a good place to keep your laundry baskets on and all so to fold your clothes great idea.

That is beautiful! Thanks for the inspiration!

I like the idea pictured, but the choice of fabric looks tacky to me (IMHO). The washer and dryer are a beautiful blue, and perhaps a solid color in the same scheme would have added to this. Laminate counter top sheeting would have looked great and been more durable. Still, what you've done uses the space well.

Laundry Room Table
Making a Laundry Room Table
Organizing LaundryMarch 18, 2009
Black smooth top cooking range.
Cleaning Spills on a Smooth Top Stove
Smooth Top Stove
Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove
glass coffee table
Repairing a Coffee Table With Missing Glass
marble top
Repairing or Restoring A Marble Table Top
🎉
🎄