Getting Rid of Baby Oak Trees

Does anyone know how I can get rid of all these baby oak trees? How do I prevent them from sprouting like this again? Our back yard has lots of oak trees and we love them for the shade, plus we just love trees. But the acorns this year have sprouted like never before.

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

HI cricket. I am from the coast and all I can do is just pull them up before they get too big. I can't cut them down;they just sprout back worse. Poison doesn't work either unless you are willing to do it two or more times about a week apart and I feed birds so I don't like using bad stuff like poisons. I have discovered that a thick mulch will help and cutting the limbs of the big oaks so they are not hanging directly over your beds. But the squirrels still plant the acorns in my beds! If you discover a miracle, please let me know. The pin oaks and water oaks are very prolific here.

Hi Ncgardener. Unfortunately my baby oaks aren't in my flower beds. I could handle that better than what I have. Mine are all through my back lawn.

Like you I feed the birds and squirrels and such so don't want to use poisons. But I've got at least 700-1000 of these seedlings literally carpeting my lawn back there. I'm going to have to come up with something soon or I'll be in real trouble with them.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Volunteer Tree
Getting Rid of Volunteer Trees
Home and Garden Gardening TreesMay 12, 2009
Poison Oak leaves.
Getting Rid of Poison Oak
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
Oak Pedestal
Refinishing Oak Furniture
Cottonwood Tree
Getting Rid of Cottonwood Roots
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 30, 2016 at 11:10:18 AM on 10.0.2.209 in 553 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.