Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Getting Rid of Baby Oak Trees

Does anyone know how I can get rid of all these baby oak trees? How do I prevent them from sprouting like this again? Our back yard has lots of oak trees and we love them for the shade, plus we just love trees. But the acorns this year have sprouted like never before.

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Cricket [201]05/18/2009

Hi Ncgardener. Unfortunately my baby oaks aren't in my flower beds. I could handle that better than what I have. Mine are all through my back lawn.
Like you I feed the birds and squirrels and such so don't want to use poisons. But I've got at least 700-1000 of these seedlings literally carpeting my lawn back there. I'm going to have to come up with something soon or I'll be in real trouble with them.

By Robby [2]05/18/2009

HI cricket. I am from the coast and all I can do is just pull them up before they get too big. I can't cut them down;they just sprout back worse. Poison doesn't work either unless you are willing to do it two or more times about a week apart and I feed birds so I don't like using bad stuff like poisons. I have discovered that a thick mulch will help and cutting the limbs of the big oaks so they are not hanging directly over your beds. But the squirrels still plant the acorns in my beds! If you discover a miracle, please let me know. The pin oaks and water oaks are very prolific here.