Selling Trees on Your Land for Lumber

Category Trees
If you own acres or even a larger residential lot you may have trees that you would like to have removed and be able to sell for the lumber. This is a guide about selling trees on your land for lumber.

Question:

We have 5 big oak tree in our back yard and we want to get rid off them. Wondering if there are any company will buy them? I live in New Jersey. Can someone please give me some information? Thanks a lot!

Hardiness Zone: 6b

Sarah from Livingston, NJ

Answer:

Sarah, It sounds like you have found some great resources. The following information does not sound like it applies to your particular situation (although check out the link at the end). Nevertheless, it may be of value to others who are considering selling the trees in their backyards for profit.

Recently, a story appeared in the news in Rochester, MN, about a company going door-to door and offering residents money in exchange for their walnut trees. As many of you probably know, Walnut is a type of wood highly prized for its strength, versatility, and beautiful wood grain, and currently, the price of Walnut has gotten quite high.

The practice of selling off your backyard trees is legal and in most cases, the companies buying them are perfectly legitimate. The problem is that during tough economic times people sometimes become shortsighted and have a difficult time passing up a seemingly great deal.

In most cases, leaving the trees there is of much greater value to homeowners than the money offered by companies to remove them. Not only do the trees provide shade, fresh air, contribute to water quality, and provide shelter and food to neighborhood animals, but mature trees (the ones usually sought after by companies) can add up to 10% to a homeowner's property value. That equates to a dollar amount that is usually a far greater than they receive for selling them.

Make sure if you are thinking about selling one or more of trees on you're property (especially if it's an urban property) that you consider all aspects of the deal before committing to the transaction. Also be aware that legitimate companies do not usually go door-to-door making offers, and all should be happy to provide you with a copy of their license and insurance, as well as several references.

Here are some other ways to make money from the trees (and plants) on your land without necessarily selling them:

http://www.dof.virginia.gov/resources/pub-1993-USDA-FS-AgInfo-666.pdf

Ellen

Answers

Best Answer

Call a few lumber yards in your area, and find out if there is a company who will remove your trees and pay you for the wood.

By debbie (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Hi, I posted an article on freecycle. Its a yahoo group you can sign up at no cost. Post the wood and say bring a truck and friends to help you and you can have all you want.

Best Answer

If they are big old oak trees, I'd suggest calling a local furniture maker, cabinet maker, or lumber mill. Large old oak trees can be quarter-sawn to produce a grain called 'tiger oak', which is extremely rare and quite expensive. There are very few large old oak trees left which are large enough to be cut this way, in order to produce this wood grain. I would not under any circumstances pay someone to cut these trees.

I'd sell them. The furniture that will be made from them will be sold for hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars! Do a Google search for 'Tiger Oak Furniture' and see what the prices are for yourself. I only know this because I own several pieces of this type furniture (I inherited it, I could never afford it). I do know that when the big old oak tree in my front yard goes down, i'm having some furniture made out of it.
I hope that this helps you!

The lumber is free just; I just want them cut down. They are on the property we just bought. How do I find someone to do this?

By Lenore S.

Answers

Best Answer

Unless you have a large number of trees on many acres of land, it is unlikely that anyone will want them for lumber. Lumbering is big business, and people involved in it don't come to cut down half a dozen trees.

You MAY find someone who would cut them down for you for firewood. How many trees are you talking about?

Best Answer

Check for a Craigslist page for your area and place an ad for firewood or lumber. You can offer it for free if it is your desire to just get it done.
A lot of people need firewood or there may be someone in your area that can have the wood cut into usable planks. Good wishes to you. Rae

I would like to have a tree cut down for free with the exchange for the wood.

Answers

Best Answer

Many people want to have trees removed from their property. Often someone tells them that tree removal services will pay them to remove trees from their property. Unfortunately, they face many problems:

*Tree removal companies are not interested in paying the owner in small jobs, such as a few acres of trees, as their costs in insurance, machinery and workers are very high.

*Some companies may be interested in a larger project if the land owner pays the company, however, the land owner might then find that the company sells the trees to lumber companies. The tree company then has the tree removal payment and the lumber sale payment, as well.

*Insurance liabilities on both sides can be very high as tree removal is a dangerous job and companies must carry high insurance costs for injury to workers and property. The property owner may face injury and damage costs, and legal problems, as well. Tree removal companies are required to carry insurance and bond for their company and workers but this does not mean the property owner does not need coverage for the property and possible injuries etc.

*Depending on the area or state of the property, the owner may face permit requirements, historic, cultural and other limitations in removing trees from a property.

So, an answer to your question is not simple. You may find a tree removal service by putting an ad on Craigslist, etc., but you still face all the issues above with no guarantees.

*Frequently property owners may find they need an attorney to address the issues and prepare a contract. You should discuss your plans with an attorney familiar with land use and then make an informed decision.

A caveat here-be careful not to provide the property address or even the general location of the trees to any company or person you might find from Craigslist, etc., before signing a contract. You may find that someone has removed the trees from your property without your knowledge

I have approx. 9 acres of property in Alabama that I want to clear and sell the trees. How do I get started and who do I contact?

By Mind of Milli from Atlanta, GA

Answers

Best Answer

See if there is any logging/forestry companies local to you. Try checking in the yellow pages. They can usually give you the names of some that may be interested.

I am a Roswell resident and have ten pines (in excess of 70 feet tall, and about a foot and a half in diameter), plus a bunch of scrub pines on my property that we want removed. I don't care to be paid for the lumber, I just want to know if there is someone who will come and cut them and take them. We recently had trees removed from our front yard - and they tree removal service had a lumber company come pick up our wood and sell it. Anyone have any thoughts?

By jennifer

Answers

Best Answer

Hi - Sorry but I do not know where Roswell is located but I have had experience with having trees removed in Florida.

Since you had trees removed before - have you ask the same company about these trees?
There should be a list of companies in your telephone book or Google the info with your location. maybe local companies will be listed.
Also look for names of any lumber companies or sawmills.

The problem with pines:
1. Usually is not a favorite for firewood so smaller companies do not cut them.
2. Pines may take heavier equipment and moving that kind of equipment is expensive.
3. Also, a log truck may have to be used and that is costly also.
4. Tree companies would have to weigh the cost of sending the equipment, truck and labor against how many "usable" trees are at that location AND how close they are to a house or buildings (insurance).
5. They would also need to know if their trucks could drive into your yard.

I had pines similar to what you mentioned but finally had to pay to have them removed. Maybe there are more tree companies near you.
Good luck.

Hurricane Irma left me with a large red cedar down and a second one damaged and needing removal too. I know there is value in red cedar and would be willing to sell the lumber in exchange for removing them.

Answers

Best Answer

Sorry you dealt with Irma. I'd take photos of the trees and post them on Craigslist, Nextdoor and publicly on Facebook so people can make offers.

Currently, a company is harvesting lumber from 150 acres that abuts our property. We have 7 large pines and 2 cedars all with bases that measure more than 70 inches and are 3 to 4 stories high. We would like to sell to the lumber company since they already have all their equipment and trucks here. How do I determine a fair price and get to the right person?

I have 2 acres of pine trees that I need to clear off my land to move a house on. Is there a logging company that could help?

By Jennifer H.

Answers

Best Answer

*Some companies may be interested in a larger project if the property owner pays the company, however, the land owner might then find that the company sells the trees to lumber companies. The tree company then has the tree removal payment and the lumber sale payment, as well.
*Frequently property owners may find they need an attorney to address the issues and prepare a contract.

You should discuss your plans with an attorney familiar with land use and then make an informed decision.

A caveat here-be careful not to provide the property address or even the general location of the trees to any company or person you might find from Craigslist, etc., before signing a contract. You may find that someone has removed the trees from your property without your knowledge.

I have a very large cedar tree that I do not want in my backyard. I was hoping to find a company that will cut this tree down and possibly pay me for the wood?

By Bob D from Maple Valley, WA

Answers

Best Answer

*Tree removal companies are not interested paying the owner in small jobs, such as a few acres of trees, as their costs in insurance, machinery and workers are very high.

*Some companies may be interested in a larger project if the property owner pays, however, the owner might find that the company then sells the trees to lumber companies. The service then has the tree removal payment and the lumber sale payment, as well.

*Insurance liabilities on both sides can be very high as tree removal is a dangerous job and companies must carry high insurance costs for injury to workers and property. The property owner may face injury and damage costs and legal problems, as well. Tree removal companies are required to carry insurance and bond for their company and workers but this does not mean the owner does not need coverage for the property and possible injuries etc.

So, an answer to your question is not simple. You may find a tree removal service by putting an ad on Craigslist but you still face all the issues above with no guarantees.

My mother died and left to my brother and I 86 acres of land near Albany, New York. We have put the sale of the acreage in the hands of a realtor. A man called my brother last week and wanted to know if he could cut down the ash trees on the property. My brother said yes and I am worried that this man is not reputable and will not pay my brother for the cutting down of the trees as he promised.

How do we handle this issue so we are assured we are not being swindled? My brother lives in New Jersey and I live in Maryland, we have no way of keeping tabs on the process of the cutting of the trees, we need some guidance on this. Thanks.

By ClaireD

Answers

If youir property is listed for sale, may people can check the location for possible trees. You are facing possible theft, especially if no one is on the property to protect the trees. Some owners have visited their properties and found that someone had cleared their lots of all trees.

You can check with your realtor for possible protection ideas, can have a live on care taker, security service checks, etc.
Good Luck!

Forgot to Add: You and your brother should have a signed contract with the man who called about cutting dowe the trees before any work is started. You can have an attorney intervene on your nbehalf and work with the man to complete the contract.

Also, you can request through your attorney that an investigator run a background check on the man for any prior problems. Again, see my first response re protecting your property.

Have you asked your realtor if the ash trees add significantly to the value of your property?

You can't put your property in the hands of a realtor to do a transaction, in good faith, then turn around and sell off what may be considered a valuable part of the property.

First, call the guy back and tell him there is no deal- at least not yet. The property is in the hands of a realtor and you need to get in touch with him/her. If the realtor says you'll get more selling the trees separately, go ahead if you MUST, but be sure you're dealing with a legitimate business, not just "some guy."

But consider this: If this logger gets hurt cutting trees on this property, he can sue you. It's your property. And if someone gets hurt being shown the property because logging is going on, they can sue you.

I supposed you've guessed that I'd recommend selling the property as is. And tell your brother to let the women do the business in this family from now on.

A little more specific about the company you hire to remove trees from a property: " In most cases home owner insurance policies do not protect home owner from this liability, most policies will state that it is your responsibility to check and confirm that companies you hire to work on your property have liability insurance and worker compensation insurance. If you fail to do this you are responsible for any damages done to your property or injuries that occur during the course of work."

So be sure they have proper insurance.

I have cedar trees on my property in Tennessee. Who would I contact about selling them for timber?

Answers

Best Answer

You can contact companies that use cedar trees and see if they would like to negotiate anything with you. You also have to factor in the labor for them to cut down the trees and haul. Do you have any neighbors or family/friends whom sold trees like yours also? Ask discussion on Facebook and see if you have any feedback in your local area.

I live in Pulaski county Kentucky, close to Somerset. I have several big oak trees and some pine as well. It might be tricky cutting them down, but I've seen some done before. They are free for the safe cut and haul, with no clean up. I can cut the limbs or burn them. I'm a retired Army veteran. How do I find someone to cut them?

I live in Bethesda, Maryland and have a large fat tree in my yard that needs to go. Who can I sell the timber to and how?

By Christine N.

Answers

I don't know about your area, but in my area, if you want a tree removed from your yard, you have to pay for the removal. Nobody who buys firewood or timber is going to pay you for that tree. They deal in large amounts of timber, not single trees. It is a bother to remove a single tree.

I don't know for sure about your area, but I am pretty sure you will have to pay for someone to come and remove a single tree. You would have to do so where I come from.

I'd love to know where people get the idea that people will pay YOU to remove your trees? I have never heard of this before some recent posts on Thrifty Fun. You will have to pay a tree removal service to cut your tree down and haul it away. You could also save it for firewood if it's the right kind of tree but you'll have to split the logs yourself or again, pay someone to do it.

Christine N.,
As many people have stated already you may need to Pay someone else to cut down your trees. This is not always the case however. Call up the lumber mills and logging companies in your area. They may be able to tell you whether they will do this or not.

In most cases they will not if you are a residential property; especially in a densely populated area. The reasons are that most contractors that would sell the lumber to a mill would have to pay too much to get their equipment to your site. If there are a large number of trees (100's) then it might be worth it, but only if they have a very good liability insurance company. The insurance requirements are completely different if they are harvesting from residential areas and are usually too expense to hold that kind of policy since it is very rare and not much, if any, profit in it.

But do not get discouraged as you can only know if you call. Also don't just call one lumber mill or logging company. If you are willing to take the risk, then there are less reputable companies that need any amount of money from a job. The risk is that something goes wrong and the company didn't have any insurance for the job. I don't recommend this though. The best you may be able to hope for is that they do it for free. Otherwise you have to pay someone else.

A couple of final thoughts: Just because a lumber mill says that they don't do that doesn't mean that they might not do it in a few months. The lumber industry is very volatile and sometimes they are desperate for wood and others not so much.
Also a lumber mill or logging company might not be the best choice if you have a highly valued hard wood tree. Contact some local furniture companies that make specialized wood creations. They may arrange to have the wood removed for you and even pay you.

Good luck!

I have 32 acres of poplar trees, about 25 to 29 years old. Can I sell poplar trees? I'm in Timmins Ontario Canada. If yes, who buys them and for how much? I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who knows anything about it. Thanks

I have a big lot that has almost 40 big trees and I need to remove them and get paid. It's in Jacksonville Florida. I need your help with the name of a company or someone who can do that.
Thank you.

What is the going price for a grown sycamore tree that's about 30 ft. tall?

I have roughly 50 pine trees I want taken down, mainly for safety at my house, in Stokes Valley Wellington, as I'm worried they will damage my house. Some are on my neighbor's land, but I'm sure they will be more than happy for me to get them taken away, I'd of course ask first. Would I get paid for the trees? Plus I've heard you can get native seedlings to replace the pines. Would you know what firm does this?

Recently, my mother hired a tree company to take down 7 pine trees in her yard. The company has cut the trees down, but the logs are sitting on her property. She lives in an urban area. The deal was for the company to haul them away, but now they are ignoring her phone calls as she has already paid them. The logs look great and I feel like she can sell them. I m not sure how to find somebody to give an estimate or if I should keep fighting with the tree company and just have them removed as was part of the deal.

My family has 25 acres and they would like to sell the trees. What do we do?

By Regina

Answers

You can find answers on Google. Just be sure to put you location - city, county, state if you want more accurate information.
Here is also a site that may help you:

http://mylandpl  ue-of-your-trees

I would also suggest you try and find someone who knows something about lumber, timber, etc. in your area. 25 acres sounds like a lot, but it is nothing to a big lumber company. You have to find some small business that does this sort of thing. In our area, it used to be possible to have someone come in and selectively log off trees and then cut them into lumber. In one case we sold the trees; in another we had this done, and kept the lumber for future housebuilding. You might even start your search in the phone book yellow pages.

Be very sure you are dealing with a reputable person. My cousin had a man come give her an estimate on trees in the Houston area. The price wasn't what she wanted so she turned him down. Several days later when she went out to the property, the trees had been cleared! They will even cut the locks on gates... be very careful!

I have 4 very large pine trees in my yard and would like them removed before they do damage to our house. One has already split in half and almost hit our house. My question is who do I hire to do this and how do I sell the lumber? I would like to make some money off the lumber. Will tree removal services make a deal with me or do I have to hire them to cut it down and then sell to someone else.

By jaynab

Answers

Get your phone book and call around to the various tree businesses. Someone might lead you to the information you want.

Call the various tree trimmers and experts in your area and some of them might have the answer you are looking for. Logging companies usually do this type of thing. Hope this helps.

I don't have any advice for you, but I do think you shouldn't get your hopes up about making any money from those trees. I think you will have to pay to have them taken down and have the wood hauled away, if you can't use it yourself for firewood. Please let us know if you do find some way of making money.

My husband lost his job a few months back and had the idea to have our pine trees cut down in exchange for money. He met a gentleman cutting down trees in passing and had a verbal agreement that he would stop by and give us an estimate.

After the consolation, my husband agreed to use his business. After the job was completed, the gentleman told my husband that after selling the trees and charging for the service, he would give my husband $300 and would be back to clear some of the mess. Well, weeks went by and we never heard from the man. When we finally reached the business man, he said he was tied up and couldn't make it out, and wouldn't even return our calls prior to that. Now he says that work has slowed down for him and he is waiting until his land sells so that he can pay us the money.

There was no written contract and we can empathize with the man since my husband had loss his job too, but what can we do? I don't understand why he didn't pay us the money as soon as the lumber company had paid him.

I have 2.6 acres in Warrenton, North Carolina. They are covered in trees, mostly pine. I want to know if I can sell it as stumpage for a lump sum. I want to construct a house and need space. What is your advise?

I have 4-5 acres of oak and gum trees that I wood like to have cleared and in South Carolina. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Please.

By Lashawn

We have 5 acres in Mechanicsville, Virginia and would like to get about 2 to 3 acres cleared. It is probably about 70% pine. We are interested in having someone pay to come clear them, grind the stumps and take the lumber away. Thank you for any help!

By Autumn M.

What is the average price paid for standing red oak and black walnut trees?

By Dixie

Answers

Check this non-profit online site to start as there are many important factors you have not provided in your question:

http://mylandpl  ue-of-your-trees

There is no average price for trees because they can be sold in several different ways and there is no "average" tree.

There are a lot of sites on the Internet to help someone wishing to sell trees. You can try your question on Google - just be sure to put more information in the question than given here - especially your city/state.

If you are talking about just a few yard trees - be ready to pay to have them removed.

I have 2 very large black walnut trees that I would like to sell for lumber.

By Michelle U.

Answers

Do you still have the wood?

I have one large walnut tree (80 ft. tall, 8ft in circ.) I would like to sell it for lumber but I don't know how. I am a disabled Marine and can sure need the money to pay bills and medical expenses.

I have about a dozen mature trees on my property near Mountain in northeast Wisconsin that I need removed to construct a new home. All are 18"+ at the base and are tall and straight. They are white pine, hemlock, and black spruce. Is there significant value?

By Greg Z

Answers

Hi - I have sold trees in Florida but I think you will have to check companies in your area for any information. Try looking for companies in your area and also your local or state agriculture department.

I need to sell more than 100 trees in central Florida. Could you let me know who can I contact in this area since you sold yours in Florida?

I have 4 big trees in my back yard. I was wondering if there were any companies out there that would pay me for the trees, I have oak and maple, I think.

We just bought 10 acres of land and need to know who can clear it off and keep all tress and wood they cut. Who can I call and about how much do they charge?

I have about 3 acres of land. Do lumber companies mess with small lots like this?

I live in Northern California. I have 4 very large, old cedar trees in my yard that I would like to remove. They are healthy trees, and straight; just growing too close to the house. The trees are probably 70+ years old. A local tree trimmer want $16,000. to drop them and take them away. I'd like to sell the wood.

I live in Charleston, Tennessee and we bought property that has huge trees on it. Some have been aged at over 300 years and some are 11 ft around. Does anybody cut and buy these?

Load More