Selling Tree Timber

I live in Bethesda, Maryland and have a large fat tree in my yard that needs to go. Who can I sell the timber to and how?

By Christine N.

I don't know about your area, but in my area, if you want a tree removed from your yard, you have to pay for the removal. Nobody who buys firewood or timber is going to pay you for that tree. They deal in large amounts of timber, not single trees. It is a bother to remove a single tree.

I don't know for sure about your area, but I am pretty sure you will have to pay for someone to come and remove a single tree. You would have to do so where I come from.

I'd love to know where people get the idea that people will pay YOU to remove your trees? I have never heard of this before some recent posts on Thrifty Fun. You will have to pay a tree removal service to cut your tree down and haul it away.

You could also save it for firewood if it's the right kind of tree but you'll have to split the logs yourself or again, pay someone to do it.

Christine N.,
As many people have stated already you may need to Pay someone else to cut down your trees. This is not always the case however. Call up the lumber mills and logging companies in your area. They may be able to tell you whether they will do this or not.

In most cases they will not if you are a residential property; especially in a densely populated area. The reasons are that most contractors that would sell the lumber to a mill would have to pay too much to get their equipment to your site. If there are a large number of trees (100's) then it might be worth it, but only if they have a very good liability insurance company. The insurance requirements are completely different if they are harvesting from residential areas and are usually too expense to hold that kind of policy since it is very rare and not much, if any, profit in it.

But do not get discouraged as you can only know if you call. Also don't just call one lumber mill or logging company. If you are willing to take the risk, then there are less reputable companies that need any amount of money from a job. The risk is that something goes wrong and the company didn't have any insurance for the job. I don't recommend this though. The best you may be able to hope for is that they do it for free. Otherwise you have to pay someone else.

A couple of final thoughts: Just because a lumber mill says that they don't do that doesn't mean that they might not do it in a few months. The lumber industry is very volatile and sometimes they are desperate for wood and others not so much.
Also a lumber mill or logging company might not be the best choice if you have a highly valued hard wood tree. Contact some local furniture companies that make specialized wood creations. They may arrange to have the wood removed for you and even pay you.

Good luck!