Tips of Avocado Tree Branches Turning Black

Category Trees
Avocado trees can be easy to grow, but they can sometimes have problems. This guide has advice for treating an avocado tree with branches turning black.

I have 3 avocado trees planted in a cluster outside. When they were first planted one lost nearly all of its leaves. They turned brown and fell off. I applied gypsum and months later it looks to be doing much better with lots of leaf growth. However I'm seeing some shoots/branches turning black. Any ideas?

Answers

Best Answer

It's said when tree branches turn black it means its a diseased avocado trees. Not healthy.

www.californiaavocadogrowers.com/.../avocado-tree-root-rot-symptoms

My avocado tree has branches that are turning black and brown starting on the leaves. What should I do? It's a 5 gallon tree planted about three months ago. Am I doing something wrong?

Answers

Is it indoors or outdoors?

Either way it could be poor drainage and it is sitting in too much water. Try improving the drainage with rocks just on general principles.

If it is indoors it could be too much water or water with too high a salt or chlorine content.

If it is outdoors, and you are in a hot climate, it is possible to have sunburn.

It is possible is a combination of these issues also!

Sending up healing prayers for the plant!! They are people too right!

It sounds like it is rotting from either too much water or not enough drainage

Am watering only once a week now and slowly little water flow for an hour hope it works thanks it was a gift and don't want to kill it

Post back how it progresses!!

It sounds like you are over watering it . Is it outside or inside, it is possible it is not getting enough sunlight if inside , and opposite if it is outside. it might have gotten to big for the planter that it is in if inside , it should not hurt it to replant it , if you do put stones at the bottom of the planter.

And as a last resort, cut back the stem to let re-growth. Or start all over again with a new Avocado, it is a lot of fun to watch it split and the first shoot come thru-----enjoy !!

I do not know for sure but it seems like your tree may be staying wet too long.

• I would suggest removing it (gently - container on its side) and make sure the soil is not damp. If it is damp be sure to let it dry out but keep roots covered.
  • If the roots are very soft or black you may not be able to save your tree but since you have only had your tree planted for 3 months then I feel you can safely remove it to see if wet soil is your problem.
  • To be absolutely sure you have good drainage make at least 5-6 holes in the bottom of the container (large enough to not get stopped up) and then 8-10 holes around the side of the container. This is really about the only way to be sure the water will drain completely.
  • Ad

• A very good way to keep your soil in your pot (but let water drain) to to place a large piece of landscape material in the bottom before placing any other filler inside the container.
  • If you want your container on the heavy side, you can add some rocks around the bottom but I generally use the small water bottles (maybe about 5-6 - small bottles) as I like my pots lighter in weight.
  • I generally use a good mixture for my soil as it should not be heavy soil or it may stay wet even with good drainage.
  • You can use potting soil but I always add either perlite or vermiculite to keep the soil mixture on the lighter side and afford good drainage.
  • Of course, you should use compost in stead if that is available.
  • Try replanting your tree after you have your soil and container fixed the way you want it. You may have to work on a second container before removing your plant from the bad container.
  • Here are some comments from gardeners if you are not familiar with Perlite or Vermiculite:
  • Ad

• Both vermiculite and perlite are inorganic products, both are relatively sterile, and both are often used as soil additives. Vermiculite is a soft, spongy material made from super-heating mica. Perlite is a hard, highly porous material made by super-heating volcanic glass.
  • It's low density makes it perfect for trapping air in soil mixes. Perlite keeps soil light, provides plant roots with air, and promotes drainage. ... Perlite is a key component of a good container gardening mix.