Decorating Luggage

I'm looking for a way to personalize plain black luggage and maybe make it prettier and more feminine in the process. Something other than a ribbon tied to the handle. I thought there must be such a thing as an iron-on luggage decals, but all I could find was clothing decals for kids. Is there a way to make my own durable iron-on decals, suitable for use on luggage, from ribbons or fabric scraps?

By Kelly from Dallas, TX

You could use colored tape to make a striped pattern (if the surface is such that you can make the tape stick). Or you could use stencils & spray paint, and spray paint a pattern on your luggage - a floral design?

Decoupage! if you haven't done it, try it. you'll have a lot of fun and you can make it look any way you'd like. When done, do a coat of varnish and it will survive anything. I have done several, including a cosmetic case that I keep in my bathroom to store cosmetics. The decorating is endless. Good luck!

Can you decoupage a fabric surface? I should have said this is standard nylon soft-sided luggage.

The stenciling sounds interesting as well. I just worry that my crafting skills aren't up to it!

Thank you, Mary and Pamphyila!

Appliqués? You can probably just hot glue them on. Bedazzler? :) let us know how it turns out!

Ah, a hot glue gun! I have one of those somewhere. I think I'll give that a try. Thanks, Vaylmer!

Fabric paint will do very nicely. Just be very sure it is well dried before your trip or it will stick to everything else. I use the "soft" fabric paint, not the "dimensional" stuff, which tends to lie flatter and soak in better to the fabric. I put my kids' last name on the bottom of their camp duffel bags, in glow-in-the-dark paint, never any problem finding their own stuff.

If you know how to beadweave with an inexpensive loom or know how to use the peyote or brick stitch, you could weave a distince pattern. There are many freebies online. Just back them on some material and glue to a spot on your luggage.

Crafts AdviceApril 15, 2011
luggage
Cleaning Luggage
hand held luggage scale
Weighing Luggage at Home
Homemade Luggage Tag With Pins
Homemade Luggage Tags
American flag suitcase.
Buying American Flag Themed Luggage
🎄
🍂