Use Facebook To Reconnect With Family

I would just like to encourage people to go to Facebook and sign up. I have found over 150 relatives that I have wondered about for years. I have wondered how they are, where they live, how they and their children are, etc. I have an unusual last name and no one is kin to any of the Heavens, to be able to ask about any of them. A man I didn't even know from California friended me one day, and from there, I have found tons of relatives from all over the world; and you might think that just because we have the same name that we are not necessarily related, but come to find out, we are related to a lot more people than we thought that we were, even from England, which is where the Heavens are originally from. I encourage your readers to give Facebook a try, and I will forever be grateful to Jack Heaven for getting most of this started.

By one.of.a.kind from AL

I had to delete FB. I was getting a severe virus ["Security Tools"] through FB and it locked up my computer, after the second time I had taken my computer to my repair guy, he said he had 6 computers in for repair that received the same virus via FB, he said the hackers were using FB because it was so popular and they could hit a lot of people, plus after several months of using it, there really wasn't any sense to it other than just to read someone's comment and reply back to it, very juvenile.

But I'm glad to see that you're 'reaching out' to relatives and enjoying it. I'm enjoying my computer not locking up :) I neglected to mention that I have a Spyware, Microsoft's Essential Security, Trojanhunter and a Microsoft's Malware protection software, and it by-passed all 4 securities.

I certainly respect your choice to participate in Facebook, as it is great for re/connecting, etc. But: Please be absolutely sure that you read all of the 'fine print' as to what you are agreeing to by singing up. (personal information they obtain (not just about you but also who may be in your address book), how they obtain it, and how they might/can/will use it) Be sure that you are comfortable with that. It is far more reaching than one would think. There are several boxes that should be checked to protect your information to the extent that one can.

I haven't had any problems with FB, and I have been signed up for a couple of years. I have checked every security feature that I can, and made as many things private as I can; so far so good. If I start having any problems, my account will be deleted as well. When you are a shut-in like I am, it helps to be able to reach out to others. I am still finding friends and relatives after all this time of being a FB member.

Cajun62234, perhaps you should've used AVG for your anti-virus? Also, beware of anything wanting to download to your computer that ends in .exe, that's an executable file and most likely a virus.

I adore using Facebook, although I use the Mobile site found at m.facebook.com. It's simpler and works better with my screen reader. Using Facebook has allowed me to reconnect with a lot of family I'd lost touch with, and keep up with my adult kids, who all lead very busy lives. Thanks to Facebook, I also learned about reunions I'd never have known about, and have more friends from my HS now than when I was actually there, lol! (By the way, I'm also mostly shut-in.)

My mother passed away 18 years ago. This year would have been her 40 year High School reunion. One of her old schoolmates that is on the reunion planning committee found me through Facebook via my uncommon maiden name. She is now mailing me a bunch of pictures I've never seen of my mother from their 20th reunion and high school. How cool is that?

I use facebook to keep my family updated on my children. It's far easier to post pictures and updates about the kids for my friends and family to see, than it was to print duplicates and mail them out like I did back when my first was little. Cheaper too.

justplainjo: the 'Security Tools' virus bypasses all antivirus software, including all the big boys, AVG is good, but Avast, Microsoft Securities, Malware Removal, and TrojanHunter missed it also, not to mention all of the other computers that were infected by it. Microsoft has finally captured it, but I actually didn't find anything useful while using FB, it's really just a chat site which I found to be childish after a while, and I'm not a 'downloader'.

A woman using Facebook.
Tips for Using Facebook
Computers Internet TipsJuly 21, 2010
Items for sale at a yard sale.
Using Virtual Yard Sales
Finding a Lost Relative, Genealogy Study
Finding a Lost Relative
Protecting Your Privacy on Facebook, Facebook login page a computer.
Protecting Your Privacy on Facebook
computer keyboard with Facebook buttons
Creating A Facebook Support Group
🎉
🎄