Using Facebook to Make Phone Calls

Category Utilities
You can use Facebook's messenger service to call people. This is a guide about making free phone calls through facebook.

We have a child who lives overseas. We have discovered, we can call each other for free through Facebook. To do so, go to Facebook Messenger, as if you were going to send them a message. In the right corner (on a computer), click on the telephone icon to call them. You can talk from computer to phone, phone to phone or phone to computer.

Cell phones and landlines charge extra for overseas calls or calls to Hawaii or Alaska. With this feature, there is no charge.

I am going to give this a try. I have 2 children plus 5 grandchildren overseas. We usually use Magic Jack but this would be even cheaper. Thanks

It doesn't cost money, but can consume your data very quickly. Be sure to keep track of your data usage so you don't go over your limit, and incur fees.

I am on my laptop, so its my internet, not data (I don't have a smart phone). She uses the computer at her end, so neither of us are using data.

Once she comes back to the states, we will get her phone back on (it is on a military suspension right now) but we have an unlimited data plan for the family that those in the family who have smart phones share.

Could you post a screen shot highlighting the phone icon you speak of. I can't find it on my page.

Thanks.