Estimating Appliance and Home Electronics Energy Usage

Does anyone know if you use more electricity on the older TVs or the newer type that is HD? Also is there much of a savings in electricity on the older refrigerator's compared to the Energy Star ones?

Thanks for your help.

By Vicky from Canadensis, PA

You can buy a devise made by Black and Decker,availble at Loews and Home Depot, that fits over your electric meter. You can then read how nuch electricity each appliance used. To answer your question. HDTV use more electricity. The bigger the set the more energy it uses. Energy appliances save a lot of money.

I would not buy new things to try to save money. It's not worth it, good luck.

A few years ago I bought a gadget called, I think, a 'Kill-a-Watt'. You plugged your device into it and then the Killawatt thing into your outlet. I would leave it in place for 24 hours and then check to see how much juice was used. It was an eye-opener to see how much 'phantom' electricity was used. By phantom, I mean your device in standby mode listening to see if you wanted it to power up. TV, stereo, garage door opener. They all use current just listening for you to call them (grin).

I found that by simply cleaning the coils on my refrigerator, I cut's power usage by about 5 per cent which may NOT be true for you. I also ended up getting a power outlet with a central on-off switch so now when I turn off the TV, stereo etc. I just turn off the power strip. No more phantom electricity users! As they say, YOUR mileage may vary. I have no connection with any product mentioned other than as a consumer.

Better Living Green Living Conservation EnergyJanuary 29, 2010
Small Pink MP3 Player
Storing Small Electronics
Handyman Finding Appliance Manuals Online
Finding Appliance Manuals Online
An electrical cord plugged into an outlet.
Finding Replacement Cords for Electronics
gas costs for road travel
Estimating Gas Costs for Road Trips