Removing Wallpaper Paste from a Wall

After spending three days using fabric softener, scrapers, vinegar and water to get wallpaper paste off of the dry wall, a lightbulb went off in my head. I got my bottle of Krudkutter and sprayed it on the glue full strength. Lo and behold, it washed right off with a wet washrag. I could have saved myself two whole days.

You can buy it at Lowe's for $12.99 a gallon. I also clean carpets with it, pre-soak my white lace valances in it (takes all of the gold out from the gas furnace), and just finished cleaning the grout in my tile floor with it. Hope I'm smart enough to think of it first the next time I go to do something

By Sally from Zanesville, Ohio

Hi , Does it take grease and smoke residue off walls?

thanks, nanareth Anchorage, AK

How about vinegar and water? Like half and half. Spray it on and let it set a few minutes. Use an old credit card to scrap away any residue left. Cover up wooden base boards, and floors so they don't get soaked. Good luck.

I'm going to try this but it's not at Lowe's. I could only find it at Home Depot. They told me it could remove paint also; I'm hoping I don't encounter that situation.

I went to Lowe's and got the krud kutter and you're right it does work great. I had a scrubber with a handle on it on the back not one of the long handles. Put the rag over that. You use a little elbow grease and it works great. Thanks for the information.

Thank you thank you thank you!!! After spraying hot water and even trying an electric dander I came across this post. Sprayed krud kutter and right seat was able to scrape it off with a 9" spatula! That stuff is amazing and so are you for saving me so much time.

How do you remove wallpaper paste residue once you have already painted over it with a primer?

By Dale from Kirksville, MO

Answers:

Removing Wallpaper Paste from a Wall

I am afraid you will probably have to sand it smooth, if you've painted over it. I believe the paste residue is the hardest part of going from wallpaper to paint. It took me a full day using TSP, a plastic scraper, a sponge, (and then going back and rinsing it all) to clean my kitchen. Worth the effort, though. My nicely painted walls look good. (12/30/2009)

By Jilson

Removing Wallpaper Paste from a Wall

Well, just how bad is it? If you didn't realize you didn't have it all off until you primed (I know just what you are looking at) sanding it off is the only way I can think of. If it is entire walls, that task can seem impossible.

BUT, if you know how to do any type of ragging, colorwashing, or some other type of paint design you can camouflage it. (01/01/2010)

By Beth

Removing Wallpaper Paste from a Wall

I would say that sanding is the only way to make it smooth now. Try 120 grit sand paper. (01/07/2010)

By Hawker19

How do you get slimy wallpaper paste off a wall before you paint?

Mom from Meridian

Answers:

Removing Wallpaper Paste from a Wall

I'd first try TSP, that is what you clean a wall with before you paint it anyway, so, you'd be killing two birds with one stone. Also, if you don't want to do that, you might first try white vinegar mixed with water (which you probably already have on hand). You need about 1 part white vinegar to 3 or 4 parts water. If this doesn't work, go to your local Home/Hardware store and they'll have something just for this (but, I'd bet they'll tell you to use TSP too!). (08/24/2006)

By Cyindi

Removing Wallpaper Paste from a Wall

I've heard that you can spray white vinegar on old wallpaper paste and it will break it down, and then you can wash it away. Good luck. (08/25/2006)

By carla bledsoe