Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Keeping Cat Hair Off Black Clothing

I bought a pair of Cabin Creek brand black pants (elastic waist "leggings" with flared legs) that were supposed to be jeans. They are 96% cotton and 4% spandex, and they attract EVERYTHING: cat hair, dust, lint, etc. Any suggestions for what I can do to make them less of a lint magnet? I tried Static Guard which, unfortunately, didn't help much. Thanks.

Maryeileen from Brooklyn OH

By

By irish mcfly (Guest Post)07/26/2007

I heard bounce fabric sheets for your dryers. my nanny sent me this e-mail yesterday and there was a whole list on bounce fabric sheets which included it picks up not only cat hair, lint, but it also helps with static on your clothing and hair etc. good luck!

By Wendy (Guest Post)07/23/2007

This is fun! We are a group of people who get excited about cat hair.
Thought of one more use for the lint roller. I roll my lampshades. Honest! First time I did it I was appalled at the amount of dust and cat hair it picked up.
Sheilamay and Jantoo, I use the rubber glove trick too!

By Karen [10]07/23/2007

I just read a tip to prevent static cling, it said to hide a small safety pin in the seam of the clothing.

By Janice C. [18]07/22/2007

Put on a pair of rubber gloves and brush the fabric. It will take off the lint and animal hair.

By Sheila Hendricks [1]07/20/2007

Wendy, Black Woolite worked for me, too. For a quick removal from furniture & other fabrics, try a rubber glove. It works faster and more thoroughly than a brush or those velvet-type pads. (My daughter is a cat collector - all the black cats sat on anyone wearing white and the white cats favored black clothes! But we love them all.) The trick with the rubber gloves keeps me sane.

By Maryeileen [76]07/20/2007

Thanks, Wendy. I didn't know there was such a thing as Black Woolite. I'll have to look for it in the stores around here and try it.

By wendy07/18/2007

I wash all my black and navy washables in "Black Woolite". Not regualr Woolite (it has bleach in it). I usually wash 2 or 3 pairs of slacks and a couple of tops at a time. I use 1-1/2 or 2 capfuls per load. After a few washings, the clothes seem to not attract stuff anymore. I think there is some kind of build-up of the Woolite that acts as a shield. And of course I have lint rollers (the kind for pet hair) in stragetic locations--car, bathroom, tote bag.