Share Crafts
Ask
Share
Newsletter
Account
About

Keeping Cat Hair Off Black Clothing

0EmailPrintFollowSave

I bought a pair of Cabin Creek brand black pants (elastic waist "leggings" with flared legs) that were supposed to be jeans. They are 96% cotton and 4% spandex, and they attract EVERYTHING: cat hair, dust, lint, etc. Any suggestions for what I can do to make them less of a lint magnet? I tried Static Guard which, unfortunately, didn't help much. Thanks.

Maryeileen from Brooklyn OH

By

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By wendy 1 07/18/2007 Flag

I wash all my black and navy washables in "Black Woolite". Not regualr Woolite (it has bleach in it). I usually wash 2 or 3 pairs of slacks and a couple of tops at a time. I use 1-1/2 or 2 capfuls per load. After a few washings, the clothes seem to not attract stuff anymore. I think there is some kind of build-up of the Woolite that acts as a shield. And of course I have lint rollers (the kind for pet hair) in stragetic locations--car, bathroom, tote bag.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Maryeileen 76 1,143 07/20/2007 Flag

Thanks, Wendy. I didn't know there was such a thing as Black Woolite. I'll have to look for it in the stores around here and try it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Sheila Hendricks 2 66 07/20/2007 Flag

Wendy, Black Woolite worked for me, too. For a quick removal from furniture & other fabrics, try a rubber glove. It works faster and more thoroughly than a brush or those velvet-type pads. (My daughter is a cat collector - all the black cats sat on anyone wearing white and the white cats favored black clothes! But we love them all.) The trick with the rubber gloves keeps me sane.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Janice C. 18 710 07/22/2007 Flag

Put on a pair of rubber gloves and brush the fabric. It will take off the lint and animal hair.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Karen 10 65 07/23/2007 Flag

I just read a tip to prevent static cling, it said to hide a small safety pin in the seam of the clothing.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Wendy (Guest Post) 07/23/2007 Flag

This is fun! We are a group of people who get excited about cat hair.
Thought of one more use for the lint roller. I roll my lampshades. Honest! First time I did it I was appalled at the amount of dust and cat hair it picked up.
Sheilamay and Jantoo, I use the rubber glove trick too!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By irish mcfly (Guest Post) 07/26/2007 Flag

I heard bounce fabric sheets for your dryers. my nanny sent me this e-mail yesterday and there was a whole list on bounce fabric sheets which included it picks up not only cat hair, lint, but it also helps with static on your clothing and hair etc. good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes