Storing Strawberries in the Refrigerator

What is the best way to keep strawberries in the refrigerator?

By Renee from Omaha

Best Answer

What I have done for years is this; I wash the strawberries and cut them up into the desired size pieces. I put them in a container with a cover (like Tupperware).

I then add a bit of sugar or sweetener (I add one or 2 packs of sweet and low for every container) and add enough water to cover the berries. They last that way for weeks-I use them on my cold cereal all year long. In the summer they are great on top of angel food or pound cake with some whipped cream or Cool Whip. Yum! You can also do this with other berries!

Best Answer

Tupperware sells four different size containers that are blue green and have ridges in the bottom. Also on the side are two white buttons to push to open a couple of small holes for air circulation. They are perfect to keep unwashed strawberries for up to a week or more. The smaller one holds a small plastic clamshell of strawberries from grocery stores. By the way, I'm not a Tupperware dealer but am thrilled to find that container. I just found the name in a catalog. They are "Fridge-Smart."

On the container I have, it says DO NOT WASH until you are ready to use them. Mine have lasted a week already. GG Vi

Pick out really good firm strawberries, wipe over with damp cloth then store in an airtight jar in refrigerator. Will last for about 2 weeks. Great for before Christmas when the fruit is at premium prices. Well, in NZ and Australia, that is!

I put the strawberries in a gallon freezer bag and store them in the freezer.

Thank you everyone. I tried the Tupperware with paper towels on bottom and top and mine have lasted for over a week so far and they are perfect.

Selecting Good Strawberries. Storing Strawberries.Bunch of Ripe Red Streawberries
Storing Strawberries
Food and Recipes StorageApril 8, 2010
Refrigerator Drip Pan Fills with Water
Refrigerator Drip Pan Fills with Water
Saving Money on a Refrigerator, A new side by side refrigerator and freezer in stainless steel.
Saving Money on a Refrigerator
View of the water line.
Flushing a Refrigerator Water Line
Fresh strawberries in a jar with a colander in the background.
Canning Strawberries
🎉
🎄