Browse
Crafts, Recipes, Tips,
& Guides
Contests
Enter Contests
& Vote
Get Advice
Submit a
Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Mildew Smell Coming From Under Our Mobile Home After Flooding

0 0EmailPrintFollow

We recently had a bad rain fall and had a little flood of about 6 inches. We live in a trailer park where many of the trailers got flooded about six inches or so. A couple days after the rain had dried up we began to smell mildew or a mold like scent. I removed some skirting and the smell comes out strong and the dirt is wet wet still. I don't know what to do to get rid of the smell. Why is it there and is it coming from the dirt being wet? Please help me, I don't want any of us to get sick.

Thank you,
Senaida from Albuquerque, NM

Recent Answers

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By carla bledsoe (Guest Post)07/11/2006

before you spend a lot on professional help, i'd try a little do-it-yourself. i would keep the skirting off for a week or so and let the area dry out and then get a sprayer from a garden center or wal-mart (the kind you pump up for pressure) use bleach and water. and spray everything including the ground under your home. you'll only need about a 1/4 cup of bleach for 2-3 gallons of water. bleach is strong stuff, moreso than it is given credit for. let that dry well and close up your crawl space and see if the smell is gone. if it isn't you may have something besides mold. flooding brings out sewer waste and just about anything else you could think of. good luck.

By Glinda (Guest Post)07/10/2006

We live in a mobile home, and I would guess your mildew/mold smell is either coming from the possible water filled holes under the trailer left to set. or, your insulation under the flooring is wet. We've had that problem, the insulation got wet after a water pipe bust. Mold smell was bad, we had to replace all the affected insulation. Had to crawl under the trailer for this job. Pull out molded insulation, better watch breathing that stuff, it's better to have this problem professionally done if you can afford it.

By Sherry Hampton [31]07/07/2006

I guess it could be cleaned with Clorox, but it's best left to the EXSPERTS.

Clorox is not good to breathe.

We had Black Mold in our flooring we took out old & put down the sstff Mobil Homes use really cheap pressed board. We then put 3/4 Plywood on top & then stick tile, I sggest the Roll Type though.

We wore Palnters Mask, to keep from breating Mold. I hope you don't have Black Mold. Very bad to your health.

Lots of Luck

RE: Mildew Smell Coming From Under Our Mobile Home After Flooding

Answer This Question

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to answer this question.