PiesBaking & Desserts

Concord Grape Pie Recipe

I need a good recipe for Concord Grape Pie? This year is a bumper year for them. I made jellies last year, juice the year before. Also, can you freeze grape pie?

Diane from Milwaukee, WI

Wash your grapes, then put hulls in one pan, and

the seeded part of grapes in another pan. You may need a little water in the pan with the hulls, but the pulp with the seed won't need any. Cook both until tender. Put the pulp with seeds in a colander, discard seeds. Place the pulp and hulls together, use about 1 cup of sugar, 2 or 3 Tbs.corn starch desolved in water, using enough to thicken the grapes. Add about 1 teaspoon of lemon juice,

the a dash of salt, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.

After cooking and having grapes thick enough for the pie, place grapes into uncooked pie shell, place

slices of butter of grapes and add top pastry. Bake at 450 degrees for 15 mins, then 30 mins at 350 degrees.

my mom made a grape pie by mistake once. she thought she was getting blackberries out of the freezer. she made it like a blackberrie pie too. just added sugar to the "berries" in the crust and baked. my grandad said she could make a mistake like that any time cause he loved it.

the seed weren't any worse than blackberry seeds so why not just dump them in a crust with some sugar and give it a try.

To Carla Bledsoe: I was wondering if I could use them with the seeds. I saw a Food Network show with the Deen Boys. They used a different kind of grape. Muskat, I think. But the pie was wonderful and the seeds added a little "nutty" flavor to it. THANKS> I'll try and let you know.