Removing Butter Stain From Clothing

My daughter got margarine/butter on her goose down Eddie Bauer jacket. I tried Grease Relief, Shout, Clorox Pre-wash, Oxy Out and it is still there. Have suggestions?

By Karen from Sterling Heights, MI

Pre-treat with Dawn dish soap; let sit 1 hr and wash.

Sprinkle some bath powder Ttalc) on the stain - lots of it! Rrub it in a bit & forget it for a few days. When you are putting it in the wash, put some liquid laundry detergent on the powder & rub it in or use one of the popular stain remover sprays. Sometimes it takes 2 applications & many days, but I have never had a grease/oil stain that did not eventually come out!

First of all, does it wash? If so, try shaking talc on it and leaving for 24 hours and then wash it- may have to dry and repeat. I've done this on t shirts etc , but goose down? I don't know. But if it's spoiled anyway it's worth a try.

Marg from England.

I presume that it is dry clean only. If you put it in a dryer at any time with the stain on it. The stain is set. I would suggest at this point that you take it to a dry cleaners and tell them about the stain. They have more cleaners available to them.

I have had good luck with dish detergent, like Palmolive.

Salt, then dry, then wash.

January 18, 2011 Flag

I spilled melted butter on a red shirt. I have treated this stain repeatedly and I can still see it. How can I remove it?

Faye

Answers:

Removing Butter Stain From Clothing

I work in fast food, as do 2 of my teenagers. I use K2R spot remover to get out oil stains. I can only find it at Drug Mart, here in Ohio. I spray it on and let it sit for at least 12 hours, then wash as usual. Repeat if needed. I have even been able to get out stains that have been machine washed and dried. Good luck. (06/18/2008)

By maripat

Removing Butter Stain From Clothing

I just bought some Zout spray stain remover (available at grocery stores, e.g. Wal-Mart) which has three enzymes for three different kinds of stains, one of which is greasy/buttery stains.

By Karen

Removing Butter Stain From Clothing

I use regular shampoo for greasy stains and anything tomato-based. I discovered it accidentally when one of my kids spilled spaghetti sauce on a white shirt and I was out of pre-treater and laundry soap, and the closest thing at hand was shampoo. I figured it was better than nothing, and to my amazement, the stains came out completely! Now I use it for a lot of stains, it works great and it's a lot cheaper than pre-treater. (06/19/2008)

By Jessie

Removing Butter Stain From Clothing

I use Dawn dishwashing liquid on greasy stains. We love pasta dishes and between 4 kids and a husband who continually "miss" their mouths, we have this issue 3-4 nights a week. A little squirt, let it sit a minute or two (longer depending on how set in the stain is) then rub out under the faucet, clean as usual. This also works on grease stains when my husband works on the cars or changes the oil and drips. (06/20/2008)

By momoffour

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsJanuary 18, 2011
Jar of peanut butter surrounded by peanuts.
Homemade Peanut Butter Recipes
rusty tools
Removing Rust Stains from Fabric and Clothing
Man Holding Burger with Mustard Stain on his Tie
Removing Mustard Stains from Clothing
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors
🎉
🎄