Becoming A Vegetarian

I'm thinking about going vegetarian. If you knew me you would think I already am. I'm always eating fruits and veggies. I hardly eat meat, never eat eggs and I drink soy milk. I don't drink carbonated drinks, mostly water. I exercise daily. I was wondering if anyone can tell me about the different kinds of vegetarians and what they can eat and drink. Thanks

Aliesha

Vegetarian: no meat/animal flesh of any kind.

Lacto or ovo vetetarians eat dairy or milk. For example, a lacto-ovo veg eats both. A lacto veg eats dairy but no eggs.

A vegan eats no animal products of any kind, including things like honey. Many will not use leather in their clothing, etc.

A pescetarian eats no flesh except fish/shellfish.

It sounds like you eat as your body requests/craves you to and that is quite healthy. My question would be your reason for considering being vegetarian if what you already do is keeping you healthy.

In "Nourishing Traditions" Sally Fallon cites several studies that showed that vegetarians were subject to up to 191% more of certain cancers. I don't think it takes a lot of meat to move you out of that category. Something to think about.

I've been a lacto vegetarian for 30 years now. I eat EXACTLY what I want except that I leave out meat, fish and eggs (if possible). You don't HAVE to eat certain foods or avoid others because they are not "healthy". I eat junk food sometimes and balance with healthy foods another time. There is no hard and fast rule. being vegetarian doesn't mean being a martyr. My first veggie cook book was: THE JUNK FOOD VEGETARIAN written by JONATHAN CAINER. It's brilliant, easy and sensible recipes started me on the road, never looked back since. I still enjoy my BIG block of cadburys whole nut milk chocolate and my cream donuts occasionally too!

Whatever type of vegetarian you become, be sure you get a balanced diet with enough protein. If you go vegan, this is VERY hard to do without some specific, concrete knowledge of what your body needs to stay healthy. Be careful whenever you cut out whole food groups for any reason-people were created to be omnivores for a reason-don't mess with Mother Nature-or at least don't challenge her without a lot of knowledge!

Can some one tell me more about lacto- vegitarians?

I have been a vegetarian for 31 years. There are lots of places to get protein once you start investigating. Some vegetarian cookbooks are a wealth of information, even if you think you'll pass on most of the recipes.....

My best advice is to be careful not to wind up overloading on carbs, which is easy to do when you're eliminating a whole food group. A life-time of excess carbs will lead you to gaining weight and not being as healthy as you were aiming for.

I saved money & time when I was a vegetarian. I went that route for 9 years - no meat, fish or poultry - yes to eggs & cheese. I was thinner too. I think I was missing something - maybe B vitamins, as my hair became thinner & less vibrant. I also started to be depressed. I was taking too many vitamins & prescriptions. I seem to be healthier with some meat. I hope it works out well for you.

Woman With Vegetables
Becoming a Vegetarian
Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceAugust 8, 2008
Pumpkin soup inside a pumpkin.
Vegetarian Thanksgiving Recipes
Vegetarian Enchilada Casserole
Vegetarian Enchilada Casserole Recipes
Vegetarian Ethiopian Food
Vegetarian Ethiopian Recipes
Vegetarian chili with tofu.
Vegetarian Chili Recipes
🎉
🎄