Tie-Dyeing With Kids

I want to do tie-dye with kids. Any suggestions?

By Monica from Grand Haven, MI

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

I have tie-dyed with several different children over the years through the day cares and camp I worked at plus with my own children and their girl scout troop. I have found that string will work for tie-dying, but children become very frustrated with it. Opt for rubber bands in different sizes. Big one for the places that will be bundling a lot of material and the smaller ones for the smaller places like sleeves.

If you are only doing a few shirts, I would recommend the dye in the squeeze bottles. One brand I have used is Tulip brand. The kids liked this kind because they could better control where the colors went. With RIT dye you dip into it usually so kids don't get to control it as much. I would recommend you go over each band and make sure they are tight enough. Their is nothing worse than taking the time to put bands on then not get the desired effect due to loose bands.

Order from this website: http://www.dhar  ques_tiedye.html

They have a "teeny tiny" kit that comes with everything you need to tie dye in bright, permanent colors, everything except the shirts (which you can buy from them also). I just finished dying shirts, a sun dress, leggings, and a silk scarf today with the materials from their "teeny tiny" kit (funny I should see your request after just finishing!). With a little prep and plenty of supervision there should be no problem using their dyes with children (depending on the number of children, have plenty of adults on hand to supervise/help), of course, plan on doing it outside!

Go to www.RIT.com and find all sorts of kid friendly projects!

Crafts Crafts For KidsJuly 8, 2010
A safety pin with beads in a flag pattern.
Patriotic Craft Ideas For Kids (USA)
sharpie tie dyed tshirt
Making a Sharpie Tie Dyed T-Shirt
Neck tie Christmas wreath idea.
Neck Tie Christmas Wreath
tie dye leaf pattern note card
Making Tie-Dye Note Cards
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 5:44:08 PM on 10.0.2.167 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.