DogsPets

Health Concerns With Flea Medications

Be careful when using flea medications on your pet. My standard poodle suffered fits after I used a medicine where you put a drop on the back of the neck. It was very frightening to see and I thought she was a gonner, but since we stopped using it she is OK.

By patinpub from Long Melford, Suffolk

Hi Patinpub,

I had a Labrador that had a very bad reaction to drop- on flea treatments also. I found that a holistic approach- treat the flea breeding areas, and also the dog worked best for me. Tea tree oil diluted at about a teaspoon per litre (approx 2 pints) worked very well as a flea deterrent after the dogs bath. A light spray every couple of days was very helpful also. As tea tree oil is a natural, and powerful, antiseptic, any flea bites, or mosquito bites etc, were not as likely to become infected or inflamed. Hence, a lot less itchiness and scratching. Good luck with your pup!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

This also extends to the dry dog food we buy. My Greyhound started having seizures suddenly - he's 10 yrs old. After a vet bill of $150, with no real answers as to what was wrong, I decided to check my dog food for problems of this type on the web. Sure enough - many other people had the same problems at the same time from the same food. The food company refused to take responsibility for it!

That did it, I no longer feed him processed food. I now feed him this daily: 4-5 cups of rice or noodles, 1 lb. meat, vegetables (no canned & watch out with the frozen, they might give him too much gas), yogurt, cottage cheese alternating between meals. I also give him 1-2 eggs a week plus a vitamin. He looks fantastic, has lost 10 lbs and is now for the first time since I've owned him, frisky and playful.

You can cook large batches and store them in the freezer for fast meals.

Reply Like this photo? Yes