Can Medications Cause a Dog to Pee More Often?

Category Health
Certain medications such as antibiotics and steroids can cause frequent urination. Check with your vet to see if this is an expected side effect of your dog's meds, if not it is probably time for a return visit. This is a guide about, "Can medications cause a dog to pee more often?".

Can steroids and antibiotics cause my dog to pee more often? My sweet girl Athena is a Lab mix, she just got back from the vet, she had an ear infection. Well since then she has been less active, constantly eating, and always wanting to go outside and pee. And I used to be able to leave her for 4-6hrs (working) by herself in my house. Now she can't hold it; is it because of the steroids and antibiotics that are messing with her? Or is it a more serious problem?

By Leonor J.

Best Answer

Oh my, yes. I am surprised the vet did not advise you. They need lots of water and more frequent potty breaks, so please, please, please be understanding of accidents, your pooch cannot help it.

Best Answer

Yes - it will be the steroids. Google the side effects & read all about it - steriods / cortizone for dogs - as it's very important to know.

My dog is on predizone at present & constantly wants to eat - she also pees every 2 hours. Remember not to punish your dog if she has an accident as her system is out of balance.

Hello, Please call your Veterinarian for these answers. If it is not the medication there might be another reason for constantly wanting to urinate. Good luck with your fur baby.

Had a pooch once who got a couple of those itchy flaky hot spots that wouldn't go away; the vet gave him steroids and I think some kind of cream or liquid. The vet said a side effect of the steroids was frequent urination. Just call the vet to be certain, though, just in case.