Neutered Dog Humping Other Dogs

Flash is a pretty good dog. He is a lab/hound mix. He was rescued from a shelter at 1 year old. He is now 3, and was neutered when I got him. He does not hump humans, but at the dog park, there is only one thing on his mind. Humping other dogs. I know this is a dominance thing. Some dog owners don't care, others are really put off. I realize this is normal dog behavior at a dog park, establishing the pecking order. My dog seems to be the only dog fixed on this at all times. What to do?

Mike from West Bend, WI

Sounds like your dog has some sexual problems, and the best way to cure him is to wack him in the rear end with a rolled up newspaper every time he does it.

No whacking with newspaper unless you want to add aggression to the dominance issue. Never whack a dog with anything.

Keep him on leash at the dog park so you are in control of him at all times. Before he shows you the sign he is going to hump, correct him with a tug on the chain or prong collar (if you choose to use a prong collar, be sure to consult with a professional trainer re: proper fitting and usage)

If you have not taken him through obedience classes, this would be a good time to do so.

Thanks for your tips. I am not new to the dog world. This is my third dog, dog#1 lived 15 years, dog#2 lived 12.5 years. Both were neutered males as is this one.

I sometimes walk dogs for the humane society in my county. Do it pretty often when I'm not working, less so when I am.(Most of the dogs in the pounds are male dogs- from my experience)

This dog has had 1 couse of obedience training shortly after I got him. Worst dog in the class! 2 years older now, he has got his head together much more. I train him daily in the house.

Still has the dominance thing, we people do too. I just want my dog to have a good time at the dog park, and the same for the other people and their dogs.

My suggestion would be: when he starts humping, just laugh and say, "Boys will be boys, won't they?!" He may have been neutered, but he hasn't forgotten that he's a male, and males have a hang-up about domination, right?! Give him a big hug from one who has four adopted dogs from the humane society - two of my own, and two foster dogs. God bless you - and him!

sorry but I have a yorkie who loves to hump the

soft squishy neck roll pillow he also does this to

a star shaped squishy satin pillow he humps so hard

he slams his back into the fireplace and falls over...

it is quite funny and just something he does and he

will NOT be stopped our other dogs would HIDE when

he starts humping.

We have the same problem. Finally our aussie mix after nine years of mounting got bit bad at the dog park by a chow mix that took high exception to being mounted in a bad way. Now we need to due something fast about this before our sweet heart of a dog gets bit again by another dog who takes high exception to being mounted. Please do not tell us not to take him to dog park or to leash him there. He lives to run and play..We have almost decided to get him a shock collar. Thanks for any help. Sue to you.

Aggressive Dog
Dog is Aggressive Towards Other Resident Dogs
A happy dog standing up.
Training a Dog to Stop Mounting (Humping) People
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
Cat and Dog Sitting Together
Caring for Your Spayed or Neutered Pet
🎉
🎄