Fixing a Slow Draining Toilet

I had a rather large BM, but only used a small amount of toilet paper. At first the paper appeared stuck near the bottom of the toilet. I flushed a bit and tried hot water with dish soap. Now the bowl looks clear, but when I flush, the water drains extremely slowly. Help. Please.

By Macie from Sacramento, CA

There are five things that can cause a slow-flush toilet, so be sure to check all of them. (1) tank isn't filling completely, so not enough water in the bowl (2) clogged drain (3) clogged rim holes (4) clogged siphon jet (in low-flow toilets), or (5) blocked up air vents (on the roof). You can find solutions for each of these online

March 12, 2010 Flag

How do I fix a slow draining toilet?

By Veronica from San Antonio

Fixing a Slow Draining Toilet

Pour some bleach in it. Let it sit for a few hours.

By AmberM123

Fixing a Slow Draining Toilet

If the idea of bleach doesn't work, my thoughts are you could have a septic system problem and need more septic system lines added to the existing layout. We've had a lot of rain this year and that affects septic systems, too. If you're on town sewage I don't know what problems that causes if any, but inquire to the politically correct party and learn if there's an existing problem in your area. Maybe it is something they could suggest. (11/13/2009)

By Lorelei

Fixing a Slow Draining Toilet

I would go with the bleach or vinegar and let sit, because if you have lime build-up and are able to chip it out of bowl, the back of the toilet were you can't see can become clogged with it and a replacement is needed. (11/15/2009)

By Ausjulie

RE: Fixing a Slow Draining Toilet

toilet plunger
Fixing a Clogged Toilet
Home and Garden Home Improvement PlumbingMarch 12, 2010
Bar of Soap Stuck in a Toilet
Bar of Soap Stuck in Toilet
Man installing a toilet.
Installing a Toilet
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet
Saving Money on Toilet Paper
Saving Money on Toilet Paper