Garden for Home Grown Food

This is my garden that I started in late May. I purchased the plants, tomatoes, peppers and eggplant from a nearby farm. Some pumpkins are growing along the fence. They are from seed I had from my brother's garden a few years ago. The idea is for them to "climb the fence."

I have the entire garden "animal proof" with extra wire at the top and bottom. Ground hogs can climb as well as burrow. One year, before the extra precaution,

the ground hogs devastated my zucchini fruit.

The green peppers are producing nicely and I have harvested a few. Tomatoes and eggplants are developing also.

I made the rows wide enough so I could use the mower between them to keep the mud down.

I should have a good crop, enough to give the family a taste of good home grown food.

By Carl - Brodheadsville, PA

That's a beautiful garden you have growing, and I'm sure any vegetables you get from it will be delicous! We don't have groundhogs here in Louisiana, at least not any around our part of the state, but we do have pesky squirrels, rabbits and a few deer on occasion. My hubby also left enough room between the rows to be able to cut the grass with his lawnmower. Home grown vegetables are so much tastier than store bought, and I'm sure you'll be enjoying them throughout this summer. Thanks for sharing your garden with us!

That is a beautiful garden and will produce many vegetables, I'm sure. It is obvious that you have put a lot of hard work into it. Thanks for sharing it with us and God bless you.

Wow! that looks great - you must have plenty of strong sunshine. I wish I had enough light to grow veggies like that, but my willow tree has taken over my yard. I long for the sun, but on the other hand, the tree cools off the yard & house so well that people think we have central air! Anyway, I'm envious of your "bountiful harvest" (LOL!) Enjoy!

Looks like you have some very nice soil there. Good ground well made can stand a few weeds and still produce lots of veggies, at least that's my approach. As a friend said to me, 'the weeds help the garden plants stand up.'

A basket of late summer vegetables and herbs from the garden.
Growing Vegetables
Home and Garden Gardening VegetablesJuly 15, 2008
Kale after snow has fallen.
Vegetables That Taste Better After Frost
Woman holding up vegetables from her garden.
Growing Your Own Food
Variety of garden vegetables and fruits in and surrounding a basket on a table.
Harvesting Common Garden Vegetables
🎉
🎄