Growing Food from Waste

Category Growing Food
The tops and root ends of many fresh vegetables can be sprouted in your kitchen giving you fresh greens and leaves to use in cooking. This is a guide about growing food from waste.

I took the advice from a blog about growing food from scraps and started to grow my own veggies.

The avocado stone has yet to root but this is only after about 10 days. I have been told it might take a month to show a root. I cut off the top of a 2 litre plastic bottle and it sits upside down with the stone resting where the cap is -resting inside a pot.

I am hoping for the Romaine lettuce to flourish and it seems to be doing really well. I am not sure what's going on with the fennel! Just change the water everyday and you see results very quickly.

Oh and I had some of those onion greens with my mashed potatoes tonight. Delicious!

Top Comment

An avocado seed takes up to a month to sprout. I have planted three so far. In good light one is getting to be about 3 feet tall.

Make your vegetables go further by re-growing them. The trimmings of certain vegetables will grow again if you put them in a pot of compost, place them on your windowsill and keep them watered. The photo shows celery leaves grown from the base of a bunch of celery.

Try carrot tops, the base of a lettuce or cabbage, the base of a fennel bulb, or an onion.

You could also experiment with the knobbly bits off ginger. All these should grow nice leafy stalks which can be chopped and added to sandwiches, soups, stews, stir fries, and salads for extra flavour and goodness.

Also you can plant the seeds of sweet or hot chilli peppers and grow new plants by your kitchen window which should eventually flower and fruit giving you more peppers.

Don't toss an onion just because it has started to sprout. Plant it in your garden for some fresh onion leaves. This is a guide about planting a sprouting onion.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This guide is about growing windowsill celery hearts. Fresh celery greens on your windowsill are easy to start and convenient for a quick addition to your meals.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes