Backed Up Sewer Line

The main sewer line keeps backing up. Any ideas?

Liz from PA

Try baking soda and vinegar. Repeat if necessary. That's if it's backing up into a drain and not into a toilet. I read about this in Reader's Digest this month in an article about "Zero Shopping." Their sewer was backing up into the shower (triple ugh!), but they tried this before calling a plumber and, Presto! I use this recipe to clean hard water build-up on shower heads and the walls of the shower and to freshen drains as well. Very effective and super cheap!

From Polly in Cedar Springs, MI

Drain King 3"-6" sewer line. Leave it run 1/2 hr to 45 Min, the noise will change when it clears out a *SEWER LINE ONLY! I do my line 2/3 times a year. Around $40 @ a hardware store.

The Roto Rooter man used to go to my Mom's house once a year and put rock salt down the opening at the street to kill the roots of the trees that grew into it. It didn't hurt the tree. That's all I know about it as I didn't pay much attention.

If it's your main sewer it could be that you have tree roots blocking it; that is if you have trees nearby. We use a Product called Root Kill, or another (which is the same) called Root gone. The name of the chemical is..Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate. We follow the directions on the Jug. We've got it at Home Depot and Menards. Perhaps any hardware store may have it. If your sewer is totally blocked my guess is you will have to get a plumber to clean it out. We use it in the spring and again in the fall. It works for us.

Home and Garden Home Improvement PlumbingOctober 1, 2008
White Low Flow Toilet
Saving Money on Your Sewer Bill
two rolls of Con-Tact Paper
Uses for Contact Paper
View of the water line.
Flushing a Refrigerator Water Line
house with trees
Getting Rid of Roots in a Sewer Line