Keeping a Clothes Line from Sagging

A sagging clothes line can be fixed in a couple of easy ways. You can either tighten the line or use a clothes line pole or prop to push the line back up. This is a guide about keeping a clothes line from sagging.

I put my dryer on "Summer Vacation" and hung a 100 foot wash line (on pulleys) from my 1st floor porch to a nearby oak tree which leaves me (and the clothes) 12 feet off the ground. My problem is that every time I hang wash out, the line slumps to the ground after only a few items (even when I only hang my children's small clothing). Does anyone have a suggestion for me to keep my clothes up in the air?

By KellyGirl_66 from East Greenville, PA

Answers

Best Answer

They have those "C" clips with the little pulleys in hard plastic now ( I remember my grandmother having them in metal) at any Home Depot--in bins by the clotheslines. And they're cheap, a couple of bucks each.

Only know this because we put up a clothesline just last week--the heat here in S. Fl has been awful this summer and I know I won't be saving on the power bill with the AC being a necessity--off goes my dryer!

Best Answer

I agree with jehosophat jones. An old fashioned prop is the best solution for your sagging clothes line. Have been using clothes lines for years. After a while they do tend to sag. We use old 8 to10 ft. 2x4's; or fallen tree limbs that are notched at the top to hold the line up. Works perfect for us. Two props on a line works even better. If you use the old boards just nail a nail on either side or notch the top and you've got your sagging clothes line high and lifted up. Blessings from Jaddrews in Texas.

Best Answer

We put up a length of 1x2 lumber with a notch at the top for the line--seems no matter how often you tighten your line it eventually sags anyway from continued use, weight of the clothing, and weather conditions affecting the line.

The old-fashioned props really work; we put our dryer on rainy-day-only duty to see if there was a noticeable difference in our electricity consumption. After a year, I'm averaging about a $60 per month drop in the bill.

You're saving energy( helping the environment and your own personal economy) making your clothing last longer ( where do you think dryer lint comes from? That's a slow shred of your clothing from the dryer drum friction) and you cannot beat the naturally clean smell and whitening of sun-dried wash.

Best Answer

If you are using an umbrella type clothesline make sure it has strong metal center brackets, strong brackets and arms will hold the height on the line and not deform. Clothesline cord will always stretch out a bit especially when new so some adjustment will be necessary. The most important components are the brackets, plastic brackets are just not strong enough to take the weight.

The best way to test the strength is to hold the tip of two adjacent arms and squeeze them together, you will see how all the lines will sag as the top frame deforms. This wont happen with metal brackets and a strong drying frame. OK some say use wire core clothesline, wire is not very flexible and can suffer from metal fatigue, if one point on the line is constantly flexing it will eventually break, poly core is more flexible you just need to make some adjustments to remove the slack every so often.

A good example of strong metal brackets and a strong drying frame in the photo below, also some tips for rethreading and installing umbrella clotheslines are available on http://www.breezecatcher.com