Repairing a Sagging Floor

Older homes in particular may suffer from sagging floors. This kind of repair can be costly. While not a job for a novice do-it-yourselfer, some home owners may have the ability to undertake this job. This is a guide about repairing a sagging floor.

I purchased a townhouse that was built in 1979. It is three levels. On the top level is the master bathroom that has diagonal cracks emanating from the door frame. Also, the door is not plumb and neither is the door to the bedroom. The floor on this level slopes to the master bathroom. This is most noticeable right around the bathroom and not as noticeable the further away.

I repaired the crack on the outside of the door (bedroom side) and in over a year it has not returned (nylon tape and mud for the repair). On the inside of the door (bathroom side) I put a mark on the wall. The crack grew in length at a rate of about 1/2 inch in six months.

My question is, should I be freaked out enough to call a contractor/engineer to determine if there is a structural issue that would compromise the soundness or safety of the house? The basement/foundation has no cracks (two stories down).

The load bearing wall under the floor joists in question does not sag or otherwise appear to have any problems with it visually. Could this be just a sagging floor joist that happened when the house settled or something more ominous? I wanted to remodel the master bathroom, but am concerned about what I might find should I do this.

By VAragtop from Vienna, VA

Answers

It is better to contact a reputable contractor to look at this than to lay awake nights waiting for the whole house to collapse! I would only trust the opinion of a professional in this case--one recommended by friends who've personally used him/her. Don't wait too long, do it now. Good luck.

How can I fix my sagging floors. Any experts out there? I have a basement below.

By vandebor from Atlanta, GA