Acne TreatmentSkin Care

Clothing Causing Pimples

I have a few questions. I get these pimples, or something where the waistband of my jeans are. They are usually just in the front, on my stomach. I have tried to get rid of them by using acne lotions, but it doesn't work that well. I don't know for sure what they are, but I assumed that they were some type of acne. How can I get rid of them?

Also, I have a similar problem on the inside of my thighs. My doctor said it's a type of acne with cysts. She recommended using an anti-bacterial bodywash, but they aren't going away. Does anybody have some suggestions? A dermatologist maybe?

Jillian from Austin, TX

You just might not be allergic to your jeans, but you might be allergic to the elastic in your underwear. I found out several years ago that I'm allergic to elastic and polyester fabrics.

Fortunately, I didn't spend a lot of money on women's clothing, but purchased a lot of my clothing at thrift shops. I had to donate all of my clothing and had to purchase 100% cotton clothing. I purchase all of my clothing from L.L. Bean.

Also I have to make sure that the elastic waistband is covered in cotton so the elastic doesn't touch my skin. I was getting a red mark on my stomach, and it started getting irritated and then started to itch.

So you might have the same problems that I've had.

I agree that it might be allergies. If your jeans are not 100% cotton, you could be allergic to whatever synthetic fabric is in them. You could also be allergic to latex, which is used in elastic. One of the biggest allergens is the dyes and fragrances used in detergent and fabric softener, also in soaps and body lotions. You could try using a detergent that says "free and clear" on the label, and instead of using fabric softener, you could use baking soda. Try using soaps and lotions that are labeled "100% natural." I would recommend using some kind of natural oatmeal scrub on your acne, but I would not put lotion on it.

You may be allergic to the nickel in the snap or button. I had this problem for years. Now I just put clear fingernail polish on the inside of the snap and I don't get those little bumps on my stomach.

You are right, a dermatologist could take care of this, and probably it would be a simple fix. (I work in a dermatology office, and see these notes every day.) Even more good news, this is a medical problem, and covered by insurance. Londa

Try dusting the area on your skin with corn starch. This helps dry the pimples also works for summer heat rash.

These are probably not pimples, I had the same problem under my breast where my bra rubs. I was told by the health department to use hibiscus soap and an antibiotic cream. What starts them is an infected hair. Bacteria gets in and a good antibiotic soap and cream works best. you can get the soap from any drugstore.

I get this, too, and it's just dead skin cells built up in the hair follicles, from the friction of your clothing. Use a bath puff on the areas when you shower or bathe, and use moisturizing cream on your belly bumps, but not on your thighs. The ones on the inside of your thighs (also from friction) are similar, but may be larger, and look more like real pimples because they have more of the dead skin buildup inside of them.

Some may get inflamed and even become infected, just treat like an open sore, even put a band-aid on to prevent friction on an inflamed area. I have found that I have less trouble with these if I wear 100% cotton slacks. Synthetics build up too much heat. There is a new gel you can buy to help with skin to skin friction, but I can't remember the name of it.

Hi Jill.

Sounds like you are wasting your time with the acne creams, especially if I am correct in thinking that they are probably not pimples, but actually ingrown hairs! Use a hot hot hot rag over them to open up the pores, and then get the tweezer out to get the hairs out.

I had the same problem and I was told to wash my clothing with fragrance-free detergent and it took a week or so for the problem to go away but it did. Now I only use fragrance-free soaps and detergent. My problem also caused intense itching and I found caladryl (topical antihistamine) worked very well. Good luck!

You might have keratosis pilaris. Tiny raised bumps that are often on the back of arms, buttocks or thighs. You can get them anywhere, but those are the common places. This website has pictures...maybe this is what you have.

http://www.medi  aris/article.htm

http://www.medi  aris/article.htm

I don't know if this will help and just to warn you ahead of time, it's a weird solution given to me by a Chinese physician - the suggestion was weird, but the Chinese doctor cured me. And I fought tooth and nail before I would go to him to be treated - I was NOT a believer.

He said that yeast infections are very bad (ok, we all know this), but that after you get one, just washing your panties in the washing machine, even in hot water and detergent does not destroy the bacteria.

Here's what he said to do:

Get the largest cooking pot you have, fill it with water and bring it to a rolling boil on the stove.

Add your panties, no soap or anything needed, and literally boil them for 45 minutes. They need to 'cook' at a rolling boil.

Ok, I was desperately ill at the time so I did it. I have to say that I didn't ever get another yeast infection - or even the mysterious kind of yeast infections; mysterious in that sometimes you just don't know what happened, but you get one. The only time I get one is when I take antibiotics, which I very rarely do anymore.

I drained the panties in the sink, used a different big pan of water, boiled it, and added the panties and boiled them again for 45 minutes to 'rinse' them. I never put my panties in the dryer anyway, so I hung them up to dry.

Also, my panties did not lose their color by boiling them; cotton panties and synthetic fabric ones.

So, maybe you have some kind of bacteria in your panties, even in the waistbands, that you don't know about.

If the boiling water trick doesn't work, try boiling them with any kind of vinegar in the water. I'd use a lot of vinegar.

There is another school of that that says not to wear anything but cotton or natural fabric clothing against your body, panties included. I don't know how you'd get around the eleastic waistband thing though; it's not made out of cotton or silk, but maybe somewhere they make panties with draw strings....

Maybe you're allergic to the elastic?

Maybe you should try real silk panties? Wouldn't that be nice if we could ALL afford them! What luxury!

I really do hope some if not all of my ideas helped you.

God bless you.

Smoochie

My husband gets bumps like that from detergents and certain dyes. Have you changed brands lately? Try something like ALL FREE AND CLEAR detergent. It works for him. And remember, allergies can develop over time so even if it was never a problem before.

You are probably having a reaction of the metal on the skin, either from the inner of your jeans, or belt if wear ome. If you can put a barrier between skin and the metal, you will notice a difference. The best healing option is to leave naturally.

I just went to a new dermatologist for the same thing. He suggested I wash my clothes and sheets in a detergent with no perfumes or dyes. He also told me it was caused by dry skin. I have started showering with a solution of 1/2 betadine or iodine with 1/2 dove sensitive skin body wash per his instructions. Shake it before you use it each time and just keep it in the shower. I use a bath sponge I bought at CVS that has a little dimple for the bathing solution and then twice a week I am going to use one of those plastic scrunchy bath scrubby kind of things you see everywhere for exfoiliating the dead skin cells. Try this and it may work. I have been doing it for a week now so it is probably too soon to tell if it is going to work. Can't hurt, right? Good luck!

I have found underwear with the elastic waist covered with cotton at WalMart. It's pretty common for skin to react to elastic, and possibly to the fact that it is relatively non porous and the skin under it can't breathe.

Anonymous

try liquid hydrogen peroxide. put a little in your bath water preferably volume 40. I wipe the area that is effected with volume 20. Helped me a lot and God knows how many other products ive tried.