Sweet Pastry

This is a lovely pastry that just melts in the mouth.

• 12 oz self rising flour
  • 2 oz icing sugar
  • 2 oz corn flour*
  • Ad
  • 10 oz butter
  • 2 egg yolks

*This is cornstarch in the U.S.

Directions:

Sift together the flour icing sugar and corn flour. Rub in the butter. Add eggs if the mix is dry. Bind together then rest in fridge.

This pastry can be hard to roll out so what I do is roll it out between 2 layers of grease proof paper. This works great also. I usually double up the quantity and freeze the rest. Hope you like this.

By Helen from U.K

what is corn flour? - is icing flour confectioner's sugar?

gammashops, I think corn flour is also known as cornmeal (like what is used for corn bread). Yes, icing sugar is the same as confectioners sugar aka powdered sugar ;-)

Helen, this sounds really yummy but have a couple of questions before trying it:

Can I use the egg yolks even if the mix isn't dry and how long should the dough rest in the fridge? Oh! And the most important, what baking temperature and for how many minutes?

Just a correction here. Corn flour is not the same as cornmeal. It is Corn Starch here in the U.S. Joan from Chesterfield,Michigan

Editor's Note: Thanks Joan. You are correct, it is corn starch. I've added it to the instructions above.

This sounds really great. I have one question, in the directions you say to "rub in the butter". Does that mean to rub the butter on the sides of the bowl, and how long do I bake this beautiful pastry? Really anxious to try this. Thanks Barb

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Desserts PastriesNovember 16, 2009
Pan Dulce (Sweet Breads)
Pan Dulce (Sweet Bread) Recipes
Puff Pastry
Recipes Using Puff Pastry
Homemade Puff Pastry
Homemade Puff Pastry
sliced sweet potato
Recipes Using Yams (Sweet Potatoes)
🎄
🍂