Browsing: Using Milk Jugs in the Garden

Using Milk Jugs in the Garden

I have a bad back and needed an easier, lighter way to water and feed my plants. I recycle my 1 gallon plastic milk jugs for my garden.

I cut the top of the jug just wide enough to fit my hand in and punch four holes in the bottom of the jug. To hold the jug in place, use a twig or stick picked up from the yard and push it through one of the holes into the soil near the plant. Works great as I can add fertilizer to the jug and fill it to 1 gallon (the exact amount in the directions) and NO carrying or lifting water pails!

I do all my veggie gardening in recycled 5+ gallon buckets, which means more watering per plant. I can fill the milk jug to the top and move to the next plant knowing I've given the plant one gallon of fresh water that will slowly leak to give the root time to "drink" as needed.

By txrosee from Montgomery, TX

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I tried this for a slow watering concept, but the squirrels kept knocking them down!

August 5, 2010 Flag

We drink a lot of bottled water and I hate to throw away the plastic gallon jugs, it seems such a waste. Can anyone give me any suggestions for recycling them into something usable? I do have a vegetable garden and maybe they could possibly be used there?

By Samsonskola from Branson, MO

Answers:

Use Milk Jugs For Garden Water Reservoirs

Topsy turvy tomato planter: http://www.ehow.com/how_4857044_build-topsyturvy-tomato-planter.html

How to use plastic jugs in the garden: http://www.ehow.com/how_2108175_use-plastic-bottles-garden.html

Fix a rusted gutter with a milk jug: http://www.ehow.com/how_2276392_fix-rusted-gutter-using-plastic.html

Make a self-watering planter: http://www.ehow.com/how_4858175_watering-planter-old-milk-jug.html

More ideas for using milk jugs: http://www.ehow.com/how_4770509_plastic-milk-jugs-home-garden.html (04/28/2009)

By Anonymous

Using Milk Jugs in the Garden

I know lots of people that use these jugs for gardening. Some as a protectorate for seedlings during windy weather and others as hanging garden planters. (05/02/2009)

By ctfagan

Using Milk Jugs in the Garden

wintersown.org

Winter sow seeds in containers. It's a fabulous complimentary hobby to gardening. (05/02/2009)

By editornj

Using Milk Jugs in the Garden

I have a use for the jugs, but not in the garden. We have had several storm related power outages this year and were without power for several days. Our water supply is from our well, so when the power is out, the pump can't work, so we have no water supply. We buy grape juice in clear gallon jugs, and I wash the jugs well, and fill them with water. I stash jugs in our bathrooms, kitchen, and in our pump house in out of the way places--like under the sink. I refresh the ones in the kitchen from time to time, so they are good for cooking and drinking, but the others are stored for flushing the toilet, washing dishes, washing hands, etc.

As they say, you never miss the water until the well runs dry. But I am prepared for that day.
(05/02/2009)

By Harlean from Arkansas

Using Milk Jugs in the Garden

I like to use mine for drip watering. Remove the top with a serrated knife so you can pour water in more easily Poke a couple of holes in the side, just above the bottom and partially bury the jug in between plants or rows. Fill with water and it will slowly seep out beneath the soil, keeping the roots watered without overdoing it. This works especially well during a long, rainless week.

You can also remove the top of the jug and turn it upside down over tender plants if the forecast calls for a cold night before the seedlings have been sufficiently hardened off. (05/05/2009)

By pollylev

Using Milk Jugs in the Garden

Rather than use all our gallon milk jugs for the garden, hubby has used about three as homemade bird feeders. He cuts out the rounded thingie that's about halfway up from the bottom so the birds can get in there for the food. Then he uses a piece of wire to either attach the feeder to the fence (high up,) or to hang it from the tree.
We can't figure out how to keep the squirrels out, but the birds are pretty good at chasing them off, lol! (05/05/2009)

By JustPlainJo

Using Milk Jugs in the Garden

Use them as mini plant protectors in areas where frost is likely in the spring; cut the bottom out of the milk jug and cut open the top and bottom part of the handle. Place the jug over the plant and secure the jug from blowing away by inserting a long stick or dowel through the handle and into the ground. Keep the lid off on warm days and cap it for cold nights. This allows you to get the plants in the ground earlier and the extra heat really helps them get more established. (05/06/2009)

By karilynn

April 28, 2009 Flag

I have found a very cheap way to water plants and vegetables. I cut off the bottoms of all plastic bottles, dig a hole next to the plant and set the bottle (neck side down) into the hole.

A single plastic 1/2 gallon milk jug against a black background.
Using Milk Jugs in the Garden
Home and Garden Gardening Helpful HintsAugust 5, 2010
Milk Jug Ghost
Making a Milk Jug Ghost
Plastic Milk Jug
Crafts Using Milk Jugs
Milk Jug Snoopy
Milk Jug Snoopy Craft
Milk Jug Ring Earrings
Making Milk Jug Ring Earrings
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 8:34:09 AM on 10.0.0.77 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.