Improving Herb Garden

How can I get better results from my herb garden?

By Red from LaFayette, GA

I think the most effective thing you can do is to check on the ph that different species need (this can be very different from plant to plant) and get your soil ph around that plant to their liking, by using things like coffee grounds for acid lovers.

Also don't be fooled into thinking all herbs thrive on drought, surviving is not the same as thriving! Give your herb garden a good drink in hot, dry weather so it can keep producing for you.

I use composted manure in my garden & pots for everything I grow, good luck.

I am zone 4 and mine are nuts from the year before. By the time the tulips were up, the chives, parsley and oregano were all over. Last year it was the pansies which kept well over winter. I scratch out the areas, poke and prod--life the soil with a pitch fork under my beds of herbs. I also plant them in confinments. 3# margarine containers, rescued plant pots 10 inch diam with bottoms cut out. They mind their manners and grow thick and tall. I divide pots so they don't become root bound.

I've found great books at the library. Give that a try.

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceJune 8, 2010
smiley faces drawn on toes.
Putting Yourself in a Better Mood
Air Ionizer and Purifier for Allergies
Improving Indoor Air Quality
Aero Herb Garden
Planting an Aero Herb Garden Kit
Earthworms In Garden
Earthworms In Your Garden