Preparing for My First Trip Out of the Country

In April I am taking my first trip out of the country. I am going to Denmark for 5 days to meet friends. I have my passport from a couple years ago and verified it was still good for several more. I bought my tickets to and from today. I acquired traveler's insurance. I am looking into getting a traveler's pack from AAA, I am a member, which contains Euros for the trip. And my mom reminded me to take a camera.

Okay what am I forgetting, over looking, or should consider? Like I said, this is my first trip out of the US, so I'm looking for some pointers from people who have done some traveling.

By Suntydt from Tazewell, TN

Be sure to pack some washcloths. I can't take a bath or shower or wash my face without a washcloth, but many hotels overseas do not have them. Brightly colored washcloths are best, so you don't accidentally leave them in your hotel.

You'll want to have toilet paper with you as you travel, too. You can buy it in Europe, but restrooms there often have sandpaper-like TP or, sometimes, none at all.

I know you'll have a wonderful time on the trip!

Sounds like fun!

I'm a worrier. If you take any medications, don't just have them all packed in your check-in luggage. What if your suitcase gets lost, and your meds are lost with it? I don't know how to handle this with current regulations (carrying meds out of their original packaging), but I think there must be a way for you to keep a couple days' worth with you. If you don't take any medications, you won't need to worry about it.

Be sure to drink plenty of water, and get up & walk around the plane. You want to avoid Deep Vein Thrombosis. I've heard that you should try to get up and move around once an hour, or at least every two hours.

I'm sure there are other things, too. I haven't flown in ages, but my parents are always going somewhere. I, personally, would load up on some vitamin C. I don't like being in close quarters with so many people (I think about them coughing and sneezing). But I might just be a bit paranoid that way.

I'm sure more people will post excellent advice. I hope you have a wonderful, safe trip -- take oodles of pictures!

If yo are taking small appliances like hair dryers make sure they run on the same current we use. You may need a converter. Also may need this for phone charger.

Make sure you take a copy of your passport and other ID and store it seperate from your originals (should you lose them). Have a copy of where you will be, phone numbers, friend's names, etc. with your family. Try to take only a carry-on. Take clothing you can layer and wear a couple of times before washing (like jeans). (I've been overseas twice for 10 days each time taking only a carry-on and small backpack. I put my purse, jewelry, and meds in there. Meds should also be in original bottles with labels.) If you have medical coverage, check to see what their policy is should you become ill or injured. Make sure what your cell phone coverage and fees will be. (You may need to get a calling card.) Have a great trip.

If you do take medications you better keep them in their regular bottle. Laws are different everywhere and I know some places will charge you with trafficking if you are caught with medicine out of the regular bottle. I would also carry all of it in my bag on the plane. It is better to be safe and not have to worry about anything. This way if for what ever reason you get held up and can't come back on the day you are suppose to you will have all your medicine. Also If something was to happen there they would have your doctor's name to contact. Also call the airport and ask about their rules concerning having to carry lots of medicine onto the plane and remember to write down who you talked with. I hope you have a good time!!

Instead of taking a trip pack from AAA, ask your bank to order Euros for you. You will get more Euros that way. If not exchange your U.S dollars at a bank in Denmark. Do not do it at a bank in the airport, you will get riped off. Also take a credit card with you. Enjoy your trip!

If you are using a backpack while seeing the sights have a little padlock to lock the zipper pulls closed. My son went to Europe with his school for 10 days and someone tried to pickpocket him. Luckily he had remembered to lock the zipper pulls together. Prescriptions can be put in your carry long as they are in the original containers. We also opened up a checking account with a debit card attached. Put a parents name onto to it. Just in case you need more money they can deposit it into the account. With Mastercard or Visa logo can be used almost everywhere. Just make sure the bank knows you are going overseas. As most people have the same navy blue/black luggage. We put brightly colored strips of duct tape around the handle. Helps identify your bag quickly. Looser clothing to help with the Leg thrombosis and gum to ease the ear popping during take off and landing. Have a wonderful and safe trip.

Call your credit card company to see what they charge for overseas transactions. Take the card with the best fee. And let them know where you'll be traveling so it doesn't get denied. Use a bank for euros. You'll get a better rate. Make two copies of your passport, airline tickets, credit card, etc. Leave one at home with mom, keep another with you but separate from your originals. Bring comfy walking shoes, preferably 2 pair so you can switch off. Also, extra batteries/memory card for your camera. And I personally like to take a small notebook and keep a travel journal-making a few notes each day about what I saw. Also, I like the tear shaped "back packs" that you carry on your side. They are more secure than a regular back pack, helping to deter pick pockets.

Travel and Recreation TravelMarch 2, 2011
Food for a Large Group
Preparing Food for a Large Group
gas costs for road travel
Estimating Gas Costs for Road Trips
Buying a Cheap Car for First Time Driver, For Sale sign in Window of Used Car
Buying a Cheap Car for First Time Driver
African baby in a t-shirt.
Adopting a Child from a Foreign Country