Henna for Healthy Home Hair Coloring

Henna as a natural alternative to harsh chemical dyes is making a comeback. And more and more of us are having troubles with allergic reactions to what we use to color our hair. Go to the "Henna Page" on the net - or email info AT mehandi.com for a FREE CD/ebook all about the history and use of henna, with how to's.

A place for information about henna from a slightly different slant is found at:

Also how to's and mixtures.

I am doing a test strand of hair from my hairbrush, as advised and am going to take the big step to actually PUTTING it on my hair. Not the flaming red, did you know Lucille Ball used henna on her hair?, but a golden blonde. But if flaming red is what you desire (and it IS back in style), henna is a great way to go.

You also can find henna patterns (a good alternative to tattooing and a lot less permanent) at the http://mehandi.com/ website.

By Pamphyila from Los Angeles, CA

Excellent idea, I wonder sometimes about saving the earth with other measures and then the unbelievably poisonous petrochemical hair dyes are rinsed down the drain. People absorb through their skin of course, patch-delivered drug therapies are evidence, so why would you want a large amount of carcinogens on your scalp for several minutes? I'm with you, good post!

Where do you find it? I used to use henna for black hair. Everybody used to carry it but I haven't seen any for 20 years, except mail order but the price of postage is so high now I much prefer to buy in person.

I was glad to get your information but it seems complicated. I just colored my hair a few days ago and I have mild allergic reactions to it every time I do it; small bumps and itching. I might try this as an alternative next time. Thanks again.

Back in the 70s I used henna on my hair regularly. But beware, if you are going to perm your hair or dye it at a later time, your hair may turn an unusual color, so you may want to go to a hairdresser.

Is there colourless henna?

I remember my sister using henna on her hair in the 60's. I still see it sold everywhere, but I am a little hesitant to try it even though I have dull, lifeless color hair with gray peeking through. I have tried Natural Instincts in the past, which washes out in 25 shampoos, but I have become skeptical about getting the correct color since that was at least 5 years ago.

The color I used then was in the mahogany family, but now that appears too dark, and there is nothing worse looking than a 50+ woman with tinted dark brown to black hair. My question is; are there different shades of henna? I always thought it came in just 1 shade - an almost orangy color.

As mentioned above, I do not want to end up looking like Lucille Ball. Thank you for any hints, tips, suggestions, etc. I will read them all carefully, and find out what would be most flattering for me. PS - my hair is short and medium brown, but an unattractive medium brown.

Long red hair on back of head
Using Henna As Hair Dye
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringNovember 30, 2007
A person coloring their hair.
Saving Money on Coloring Your Hair
Coloring Gray Hair
Coloring Gray Hair
Child Coloring in a Coloring Book
Saving Money On Coloring Books
🎉
🎄