Substitute for Cast Iron Skillets

What is a substitute for cast iron skillets? They are just too heavy and hard to keep seasoned for everyday use.

By Onesummer

Well, what is it you like about them?

They are heavy, but sometimes one can get the one with two handles. I am 65 and I certainly feel their weight but I think of it as weightlifting and good for my bones. I try not to lift them awkwardly though so as not to hurt my wrists.

They are not hard to keep seasoned. It takes about 2-3 minutes of extra care for them, but they last generations, literally. I like that part. Wipe clean with a plastic scratcher when cool to get out most crusties,

scrape bottom with spatula or use some other scratchie to clean. If you have to use soap and water, do it as quickly as possible, dry with a rag or paper towel, put a touch of oil and rub in. Or turn on a burner on high for about 1 minute or less, place cast iron upside down to dry and oil a bit later. The oil

polymerizes over time (an old term from my dad's plastic business) and forms a non stick coating. So the more you use it, and re oil, the quicker the non stick forms.

There is cast aluminum which is a little lighter, but we get a lot of aluminum from water treatment [alum is used], so I don't do that. Carbon steel is lighter, but has to be treated pretty much as cast iron. I use Cast iron, stainless, and carbon steel.{Think wok}. I wouldn't touch non-stick stuff. And I don't like aluminum for reason stated. Enamel pans are nice, but sometimes paint chips, and they can be cast iron inside and therefore heavy.

There IS NO substitute for cast iron. If you want the 'iron' taste to enhance the flavor of your dish.

You do not need to season every time you use these regular use keeps it seasoned. Shirley

Honest answer? Nothing can replace them, you just can't get good southern cornbread or fried chicken without them (and I'm not southern!). But if you want something lighter, and something that will last a long time, get some really good quality Stainless steel pans. Pick up any pan and feel it, if it's lightweight, it will warp, burn and fall apart really quickly. A good stainless steel pan will have some heft to it, not like an iron skillet but some good weight to it.

Hi, For general purpose, I bought a couple of wok pans that go on the stove. LOVE them for everything you would have used a regular pan for. And non stick. Maybe cause the sides don't do direct heat to the burner, just indirect heat, like a pan in the oven does.

Consumer Advice General AdviceSeptember 16, 2009
Cast Iron Wood Stove
Cleaning a Cast Iron Wood Stove
Seasoning a Cast Iron Pan
Seasoning a Cast Iron Pan
Cooking with cast iron pans.
Cooking With Cast Iron Pans
Unseasoned Dutch Oven
Removing Rust from Cast Iron