Fleas on a Kitten

I rescued a stray kitten that has fleas. I am starting to get bitten and can see the fleas on him. What can I do to get rid of them safely and quickly besides using Advantage? Please help!

By Isolina from Paterson, NJ

I've used BIO SPOT flea and tick spray, for cats and kittens. It also sterilizes the fleas so they don't reproduce. It kills and repels fleas, ticks, and bugs too. It's made by farnam pet products. It says for kittens under 3lbs to spray a towel and wrap them in it for 5-10 minutes.

So it seems as if you took in more than just a stray, huh? Well, bless your heart for taking the little one in. I'm sure he will bring you much joy once you rid him of the flea issue.

I recommend an all safe, all natural product called diatomaceous earth. It is a powder that can be rubbed on their fur, sprinkled on carpets, pet beds, even your bed if need be. The product is food grade safe and will not harm him if he licks it off during his many daily "cleanings." Please make sure that when purchasing the product you get the food grade and NOT THE POOL GRADE!! My Mother and I both use this product and we love it. I researched on the internet for my own piece of mind prior to using and I always tell others to do the same. This website; www.earthworkshealth.com, as well as many other sites are informative. Simply google Diatomaceous Earth and within minutes you will have all the info you need.

I am amazed at what this stuff can do, not only for fleas but for many bugs/insects. This product is also very cost effective, or of course I would not use it, being I am so money conscious. I purchased a 3 lb. bag from my hardware store (Lowe's) for $9.51 including tax and I have been using it for quite some time now. One last piece of advice before you purchase, make sure you do not pay more than is needed for this product.

Diatomaceous Earth Powder also kills bed bugs and with bed bugs being such a problem nowadays, companies are selling this product at high costs. I know the large hardware stores like Home Depot and Lowe's carry it, and it can also be purchased online. Amazon had it at a reasonable cost, but of course then you wait for it to be shipped. And fleas multiply so quickly it's better to take care of the problem now if it can be purchased close to home. Good luck to you and your new little friend!

And be sure to do the dry Borax in the carpets. Leave it down for 2 weeks to get eggs larvae and adults. 2 or more cups per carpeted room 2 weeks. Safe and it works.

I found at 1-800-petmeds a pill called Capstar and I bought for my 3 dogs and 9 cats and I love it. The fleas just fall off of them dead. I hate putting Advantage or anything like that on them anymore because they seem to get sick from it. I keep a jar of watered down Dawn in the bathroom and when I go in there they follow me and I run a flea comb thru them. It seems I can go a week before I have to give them a pill. I give to them on a Friday afternoon and vacuum the next day.

First do a dip/give a bath in dawn dish detergent and comb out that will get the existing fleas. (I tried bio spot was a waste of money). I just had a similar issue, having found 4 kittens that were 3 weeks. When they reached about 10 weeks, I used 1/2 tube of frontline on each to deal with the eggs. I haven't had a problem since. I have gone "natural", but it is all about getting those eggs. I have now rescued over 20 kittens over the past couple of summers. The bath is always my first process before they are allowed anywhere. Then the guest room is their sanctuary until about 10 weeks.

I always do a dawn and water bath on kittens and puppies. I use dawn and heavily lather it on them. I once had four puppies that were so covered with fleas that they got on my, and I was almost covered with them. It took four times in a row of rinsing and lathering and the last time, the lather stayed on about two or three minutes before rinsing really well.

With kittens they are really sensitive to water temp so make sure it is warm and not cold or not hot. Talk to the puppies and kittens while they are getting bathed. It calms them down. I always do a nail trim on kittens before bathing them. You have to have a good hold on the little darlings...they are so not liking the bath but the feel so good afterward.

Make a thick circle collar around the neck of the puppies or kittens with dawn. This keeps the most of the fleas from climbing into their eyes and ears, although you will see them run like crazy when they first feel or smell the dawn and water.

I use a bathtub rather than a sink but I have done both.

Here is a video on how to bathe with Dawn and water:

A flea comb is great for when there are just a small number of fleas.

October 30, 2011 Flag

I just got a new kitten and have found a dozen or so fleas on her in the last 5 days, she has a lot of flea excrement on her, but no eggs or larvae. Is bathing her and treating the floors and bedding enough to make sure this doesn't become a problem?

By Katrina L

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I saw a video on u tube about fleas. Use lavender and tea tree oil. Put about six drops of each in a couple of cups of water. Put in spray bottle and after you have bathed the kitten, dry him/her off and spray this concoction on the kitten. It wont hurt the animal and he will be rid of the fleas. And, he will smell good! The tea tree oil is an antiseptic from what I am told, a very good product. Be careful not to get the mix into the kittens eyes! Good luck!

Back when our children were small, a kitten took up at our house and it was wrapped up with fleas. We got some flea shampoo and bathed him and picked all the fleas off. That was one happy kitten when we got him cleaned up.

You can use Dawn Liquid Dish Detergent as a shampoo for the kitten; suds the kitty real good and leave on for a minute before rinsing. If you have a sprayer rinse the fur backwards and watch fleas make their final exit.

You can buy Frontline Top Spot for kittens through this link cheaper than buying through a vet or pet store so your kitten is flea free for life safely and inexpensively. This is who I buy from for my cockers.

The blue dawn dish detergent is a good idea like they said. It's not made for every time use, but to give the little one a bath to get rid of the flees. I think it could work great. Poor little thing!

September 27, 2010 Flag

What can I use to get rid of fleas on a 7 week old kitten?

Yuki from Stockton, CA

Fleas on a Kitten

We have a house load of animals, 2 dogs, 1 cat, 2 rabbits, and fish. To keep our outside and inside dog and cat flea free we feed them garlic. Either chopped up garlic from a jar or garlic powder (not salt) seems to work well. Just mix it in to their food once a week, about 1 teaspoon full, or in their water. So far, three years here, no fleas (do not give to the bunnies or the fish LOL ;)..) (09/18/2006)

By mommajojo

Fleas on a Kitten

You could sprinkle baking soda on the kitten and gently rub it in. The baking soda cracks the skeleton of the flea (exoskeleton) and dries them out. This is also good to get them out of carpet. (09/19/2006)

By JMRoss

Fleas on a Kitten

I have worked for a veterinarian for 27 years. The advice I can give you is to give your fur-baby a warm bath with tear free baby shampoo. Please comb all the fleas off him/her. Fleas can kill (by sucking blood out)of your kitten. Please call your veterinarian and purchase some Advantage for cats under 9lbs. The Advantage will keep the fleas off your kitten for almost 1 month per application. Your kitten is due for it's first exam and vaccine anyway.

Have a great time with your new baby.

By Sherri

Fleas on a Kitten

I have read in many places to NEVER use garlic for cats. I don't know the reason why, just have read it on many sites.

I have found Nature's Guardian by Sargeants great! It is all natural and not too expensive. It is safe to use on kittens. I used it on a stray that showed up at our house and was full of fleas. After bathing her I applied it and it worked great.
Good luck!

By hvnlyhills

Pets FleasSeptember 27, 2010
One Month Old Kittens
Feeding a One Month Old Kitten
Flea Bath
Giving a Kitten a Flea Bath
Black and White Kitten
Adopting a Kitten
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding