Nursing Home Gift Ideas

I need gift ideas for an invalid nursing home resident.

Kim from Oak Hill, WV

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

My grandma was in a nursing home. Here's what she liked. Cookies, crackers, and candy(check with the staff first to see if there are any dietary restrictions). Most older people like to keep in touch through writing so some stationery, a box of greeting cards, stamps, and some pens would be nice. Older people often have problems with dry skin, they use lots of chapstick and heavy duty skin lotion. If your friend can leave the nursing home how about an outing? A movie or a drive around (maybe to look at Christmas lights?) would be appreciated. Grandma loved it when I brought her fresh flowers. When I walked through the community room with the flowers the ladies faces would light up and they would oooh and awww. Books, magazines, crossword puzzles are popular, too. From what I saw most patients had given away the personal possessions they didn't want and really don't care about knick knacks, artwork and so on.

Hope you and your friend have a happy and Blessed Christmas.

for the ladies what about a soft cuddly stuffed bear with a couple of dresses for them and maybe a bonnet too, soft to hold and cuddle. maybe it will help them with feeling alone. and when the little children come to visit them with there familes it will give them something to play with as well.

my local quilt shop has patterns for pillow cases. Maybe that would help her feelings. Something cheerful to put her head on or take in a wheelchair up the hallway. Bibs for meals if it is necessary. Crochet booties, socks,

1) SUPER-SOFT FLEECE LAP BLANKETS. My friend makes them & the folks (both male AND female) go crazy for them! These soft, warm blankets are perfect for those in wheel chairs. Lap blankets are smaller than "regular" blankets (about 24 x 30) so they can be washed easily (PLUS this way you can get 2 from one yard of fabric) and don't put fringe on them as it only gets tangled up & in the way. Fleece is "double sided" & won't fray, so no need to hem or finish the edges. But for fun: Why not embroider a flower, their name or crochet around the edge?... Write me on ThriftyFun for directions.... Fleece lap blankets are perfect to keep the wheel chair bound (& everyone else too) warm & cozy!

*** Berber or Fur fabric can also be used for the lap blankets, just be sure it can be washed & Dried easily because a lot of the super soft "Poodle Fabric" sheds & totally FILLS up the washer, plus it ruins EVERYTHING ELSE that's in the machine with it... (I learned by experience!) <*grin*>

2) BOOKS ON TAPE: you can either buy one OR better yet, go to the library monthly & pick up 5 or so, then exchange them every month...

3) HOME COOKED GOODIES: Home cooked food...Healthy Banana bread (or whatever) can be made with NO sugar, (for diabetics & others.) either by using "Splenda" brand sweetener OR better yet, by using fruit concentrates (like frozen concentrated canned apple juice) for sweeteners. Any fats or oils can be substituted with apple sauce instead...Extra sweetening & extra calcium can be added by adding powered milk to the dry mix. (not for those with "lactose intolerance") These healthy Banana type breads are as tasty as can be!... Food like this is a reminder of "home" & when they were younger...

I have spent the past several years working in nursing homes, so here's my two cents:

*Anything soft and comfy (blankets, pajama pants, sweats, slippers or nonskid socks) is usually well appreciated.

*Almost any consumable item (snacks allowed by their diet, body wash or lotion, shampoo--find out their favorite brands) is a good idea because storage space is limited.

*A newspaper or magazine subscription for someone who can still read is a gift that will keep giving all year long.

Finally, please remember that what most people in facilites appreciate most is you time. Every year at Christmas, we see more family members and groups coming in to visit. Residents like to have visitors all year--not just during the Christmas season.

Suncatchers, portable cd player with headphones, gift certificate for hair services, snap down the back pj's, large print bible, magnifying glass, grabber to reach items.

I worked in a nursing home for well over ten years and the most inexpensive gift you can give is your TIME AND LOVE.

No matter how disabled your relative is just be there.

They may not be able to let you know , they may not sit still, but deep down I'm sure they know you care whether it be family for friend.

PUT YOURSELF IN THERE PLACE, WHAT WOULD YOU WANT?

I too love old folks, and worked taking care of them for most of my life. All your ideas are great. I was a bit surprised to not see one here, so here it is! You need two washcloths, pretty; lay one atop the other; roll the edges of the first to meet in the middle; then roll the outer edges of the second, to meet these edges; fold in half, putting a bar of soap (if using unscented try glycerin in pretty colors, then fold it up like a satchel; hot glue 2 handles, made of paper twist ribbon, then any pretty decoration;they are very pretty and liven up a bedside table, and get lots of admiration, which gives seniors a chat, too!

I'm from Texas and my best friend's husband used to love to play the guitar and sing the old timey country and western songs. That is before he went down so badly. Anyway, a few years back he and another friend that picked his guitar once a week would go to a nursing home and play and sing for the residents. Of course their wives went also and sang with them. And quite a few of the residents would all gang up in the dining room where they would be and would join in singing, clapping their hands and even tried a bit of dancing at times. This was right up their alley! And they loved it. To listen to my friend and her husband talk of those days, you really have to wonder who enjoyed it the most!

Have you tried A Hug From Blanche? They hand knit shrugs which could be the perfect gift for your elderly relative who is sitting up and may be in a draft, or who just needs to feel "hugged".

I once purchased a small bird feeder and attached it to a pole outside my Dad's nursing home window(he lives on the first floor). Every time I go to visit him I fill it with birdseed and he's able to watch the birds from his window.

My mother (91) has lived in a nursing home for 3yrs. She is unable to talk, walk or feed herself. At Christmas my little grandchildren carried a large decorated basket to the patients filled with little snow globes from Walgreens. We waited until we could buy them 3/$1. It was amazing how many of the patients remembered them from their childhood. They just seemed to enjoy "shaking" them.

My husband is in a nursing home, and I now have friendships with many of the residents. Here are a few ideas that have proved popular in my experience:

- Personalized cards for birthdays, Christmas, or just Thing of You -- personally delivered.

- Pretty little doo-dads for ladies

- Snacks, as permitted. I know who likes what and try to carry a bag with a variety to give out.

- Hats. Ladies and men like them. I do fishing hats for the men.

- Handshakes. People like being greeted as if they're human beings rather than patients.

- Compliments. I tell all the ladies how pretty they look and try to compliment them on something specific -- a new haircut, a pretty shirt. You can tell the men how dashing or spiffy they're looking.

- Stuffed animals. You'd be surprised at the people who end up loving them.

- Videos on topics of specific interest to a resident.

The following ideas involve your time, which is more important than anything else to nursing home residents.

- Games. Play cards, hangman, tic-tac-toe, checkers, even charades... whatever games the person likes.

- Reading. My husband loves to be read to.

- 20 questions. Arm yourself with questions to ask and give the person lots of time to talk. Questions about his.her experiences are always winners.

- Grooming. ladies like to have their nails done. Light massages are nice. Just slowly brushing someone's hair is much-needed attention and physical contact.

- Music. If you play an instrument, try doing it room by room for those who are room-bound. There's a lady who does this at my husband's NH and the residents just love it.

- Silly games. This Little Piggy Went to Market with people's toes is popular with those whose minds have become more childlike.

- Playing ball. Men especailly love tossing a ball back and forth.

- In nice weather, rides outside in wheelchairs. In poor weather, do it inside. Stop to talk to others, look at and talk about bulletin boards and decorations, read menus, etc.

- Pet visits. Check the NH's policy, but residents just love, love, love visits from puppies, rabbits, even ferrets.

- Deliver and read mail. Talk to recreation directors.

- Art. Take a child-size easel on wheels and some water paints. Anyone who can hold a paint brush can create something.

- See what sort of games and equipment the rec department has. They often have stuff they've forgotten about that you can put to use.

Finally, one thing I see residents eat up is just being around other people having normal conversations. Invite a few people at once and just hang out in rooms gabbing. The resident may not participate but he'll still love it. it makes him feel connected to the real world and included among regular people.

I volunteer at our local nursing home and I know first hand how difficult it can be when people bring in food. A little advice from me would be...(don't bring in food unless you know for sure that the resident(s)can have it) do something else such as bring in a pet, but make sure that you talk to the administrator or bring in games to play. Residents love to here people sing so you could make a binder with familar songs such as hymns that they remember. You can always just pop your head in and say hi. They LOVE to see people.

Just give them love! God bless you and I know the resident will love the visits.

The majority of nursing home residents can no longer see well enough to read, but I found one gift that delights them all. Visiting an antique store during a trip once, I found old magazines from the 40's and 50's and even as early as the 1920's. I bought a stack of them for my Mom, who is also a resident, and she was completely delighted. She can't see well enough to read, but looking at all the old ads took her back to a time of great happiness in her life. She enjoyed many hours of happiness looking through those old magazines.

I have just begun a nursing home visitation program near my home doing room to room visits. I am hoping to find craft instructions to make silk flower corsages for the ladies with pins they cannot harm themselves with. I think that will be a big hit as well.

Visiting with the elderly is highly rewarding and though you go in thinking you will bless them, often is it you who leaves feeling blessed.

Answer

My group, PT Force, is visiting a nursing home. I want to make a craft for them, but I'm "baffled". What should I make?

By Matthew G. from Reseda, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Is this something you want to make for the residents or something you want to help the residents make?

My first thought was a hand fan. You could use paper plates and popsickle sticks (tongue depressors are larger and would be easier for them to handle) and staple them together or glue them together. Decorate the plates before adding the handle.

Could anyone give me some ideas for inexpensive gifts to take to an elderly neighbor in a nursing home that could lift his spirits?

Nelliemary

Nursing Home Gift Ideas

Make up a small scrapbook of the old neighborhood or even town.
just Xerox your pictures.
How about an indoor house plant that came from your house.
Or you could make a tape with the voices of the old familier neighbors saying something nice.
And in this technological age perhaps you could throw an picture and talk to familier neighbor phone party.
you know have someone go to the home of the other good friend neighbors
take their phone pictures and then talk a few minutes with the resident.
and last talk try to get the resident to talk about the good times they have had at the nursing. if possible let them give you a tour of their new home.
Have A Happy Visit
Mr. Thrifty
(12/09/2006)

By Mr. Thrifty

Nursing Home Gift Ideas

Just an idea, but when my grandmother was in a nursing home, My sister got permission to bring her Great Dane dog in to visit. Our grandma LOVED visiting with the dog and lots of other residents did too. Some came to her room and others asked for my sister to bring the dog over to them. They hadn't seen any pets in such a long time! Of course, it would have to be an extremely friendly animal and the visit fairly short. (12/12/2006)

By Cindy S.

Nursing Home Gift Ideas

We have church services at two nursing homes, and around Christmas time we like to give a little in-expensive gift. We have found out from years experience, some things the residents enjoy. Some of the simpliest things, yes, they really enjoy visits, they also enjoy singing. We sing church songs and even the non-church goers love it. We take in a guitar and travel room to room with some residents. The little gifts we give out once a year, may range from the little non-skid slipper socks, to simple toilette articles wrapped up pretty with a bow. Like comb, brush, toothpaste, small sample bottles of things like lotion, hand soap, or single packs of kleen-ex.

Go to the sample bottles of things at a store like Walmart, and look at things that can't be harmful to them. The elderly can't always handle certain foods, so leave that one off. One year we were doing a state run nursing home, they had alot of mentally challenged residents, and we gathered baby dolls, cleaned them up, my mom fixed their hair, and made them clothes, the residents were so happy. We gave the guys some socks and hankerchiefs. Working with the nursing home folks is a very rewarding job, try it. (12/12/2006)

By Glinda

Nursing Home Gift Ideas

Our Brownie girlscout troop just delivered 88 gift bags last night to a local nursing home (they sang carols while delivering)
each included
a deck of playing cards (donated by Belterra Casino, THANKS Belterra)
tissues
toothpaste and brush and hand lotion
notepad and pen
cookies or crackers (as long as doesnt interfere with diet or residents restrictions)
hair comb
Pin or jewelry for ladies
chapstick
Christmas SOCKS!
THey were a great hit (12/12/2006)

By Diana

Nursing Home Gift Ideas

We used to visit our nursing home with our big old docile white cat. At Christmas, I took photos of the residents with the cat and made Christmas cards. The nurses tell me that they love photos, because they usually have some type of bulletin board on which to post them and some folks have no one to send them anything. Perhaps you could have someone take photos of you with your neighbor and make a card or collage.
(12/13/2006)

By Cindy Bailey

Nursing Home Gift Ideas

One thing my grandfather wanted before he passed on, was "Blistex" lip salve! I believe that your time, your smiles, your laughter, your reassurance, and your loving hugs will be gifts no money can buy. Many are afraid, so terribly lonely, angry, confused, and "just waiting to die", as I've heard so often. When any say this, I reply, "We are all in that same line, you know, and none of us can add even one hour to our life, nor knows when it will come. You are very fortunate to have lived this long and you aren't leaving this world one minute before your time.", adding a chuckle as they think about it and often smile.

Wide topped socks are a favorite for men who have difficulty with putting on regular socks. Each of them seems to like soft warm cloth, regardless of what it has made. Gentle arm and foot massages are much appreciated, as is a little look out a different window they've not seen before recently.

Another good item is the Time ANNUAL magazine, that shows the major events of the year or years, about $15.00 U.S., the last I bought one. If they don't have one, a long-reaching magnet "gripper" is much appreciated for those who are stuck in a wheelchair or walker, provided it can be reached from their chair for such things as magazines, books, slippers, newspapers, once they get the "hang" of the "new toy", although not at all new to the market. Many cost as much as $30, but some can be found under that amount. I found one in a garage sale for $3.00, and use it to get hats down from, or return them to, the top shelf of my closet even now while I am still ambulatory and not yet confined or crippled.

Touch lamps are good if easy to reach. Master light switch boxes are convenient, and portable battery operated closet lights for closets, under bed edges, and inside deep drawers for those who still have their faculties. My mother loves for me to do simple activities from childrens' books, about 4th grade, with her since she has some dementia now. I even took a small electric keyboard to sing with her and allow her to play a bit. Men might enjoy it a little, but helping them to keep their clothing sorted, hanging together on the hangers is equally important. This is one of my forte's and is greatly appreciated if I know the person well and if no relative seems to be doing that job. (If there is an odor in the room, I spritz a tiny "Ozium" spray can rather than to leave because of it. )

Good luck and God bless you. : )
(12/15/2006)

By Lynda

Nursing Home Gift Ideas

My mom lives in a nursing home 2,000 miles away so I try to send her a "care package" once a month. I send her 1 artificial flower for the season the month is in, along with her favorite candies (she isn't limited in her diet), she knits, so I send her yarn each time. I made her an album of pictures of when she and my father (deceased) worked on the farm together, her marriage license, and pictures of my sisters when they were small, who have recently passed away. Around January/February, when the grapefruit and oranges are ripe (I have two trees) I send a huge box of them combined to the nursing home for everybody to enjoy. I write her a letter every day and on it I insert pictures of beautiful scenery or the holiday that's going on. Recently I've been enclosing pictures of Phoenix and Sun City and our new Cardinals Stadium, which is only a mile away. I also insert jokes in her letters to brighten up her day. I work for a newspaper, so when my picture is in it, I send her a copy. I also clip little things out of the newspaper I think she will be interested in. I try to call her every day also. (01/09/2007)

By Judy

Nursing Home Gift Ideas

I buy stuffed animals in good condition from a thrift store, as well as the dollar store, and take in a bag full to the nursing home that my mother lived in. The activities director distributes them to some patients, and uses others as prizes at patient game sessions.
Ladies often like jewelry, particularly pins/brooches, as they fit everyone.
Another popular gift at my mother' place is holiday themed decorations, changed monthly.
Not as inexpensive, but really appreciated and used are those no sew fleece blankets/lap robes.Both the double layer tied ones, and single layer fringed ones are used frequently. I buy fleece remnants which are big enough for lap robes quite cheaply. Knot two together, or cut fringe, and then trim the single layer ones by putting plastic or wooden pony beads on each fringe. (Pony beads are beads with large holes and are available in large bags at the fabric/craft store.) (01/10/2007)

By jean

Nursing Home Gift Ideas

For elderly folk who use walkers, a walker bag makes a nice, but not too expensive, gift. Flowery walker bags like from www.jeanswalkerbags.com are great for women, but for a gentleman you'd rather get a leather bag or something of that nature from Ebay. Seniors love to tote things around more easily. Also, there's a service called Happy Happy mail at www.happyhappymail.com that sends cheap gifts on your behalf, which is pretty neat! However, it's about $20 a month. (10/14/2007)

By Joseph

Nursing Home Gift Ideas

Remember ; do not give any toiletries : ex talcum powder, lip balm, etc...that are medicated. I was a nurse in a nursing home for many years and we needed a doctor's order to ok these kind of items or to ok the use by the residents. (11/05/2007)

By France

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Elderly man receiving a birthday gift
Nursing Home Gift Ideas
Holidays and Parties Christmas Gifts AdviceDecember 22, 2007
elderly man with a gift
Valentine's Day Gifts Ideas for a Nursing Home
Two elderly women playing dominos.
Nursing Home Games Ideas
Nursing Home Gift Basket
Nursing Home Gift Basket Ideas
Elderly Woman doing needle work
Craft Ideas for Nursing Home Patients
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 26, 2016 at 2:11:05 PM on 10.0.1.124 in 781 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.