Squirt (Gray Cat)

contest winner icon

Squirt was my husband's cat when we met, so I'm guessing he's give or take around 16 years old. I'm more of a dog person, but Squirt thinks he's a dog. He started walking with me when we got our Parker, as a puppy, back in 1999.

The past month has been a very interesting month for Squirt. We got new neighbors with 5 dogs that are accomplished escaped artists. One of their dogs is a White German Shepherd, named Casey, who caught a sideways glance of Squirt and decided to chase him.

Well, Squirt didn't run. He stood up on his hind legs and popped Casey over and over in the head. He actually chased Casey home. I was running after Squirt, Casey's owner was chasing after his dog, and 4 legs always out run 2.

I guess since Squirt is now the only cat in the neighborhood, he believes in his kitty wisdom, that this is HIS neighborhood. He actually has certain neighbors he visits. There's nothing odder than driving down the street and seeing your own cat sitting in someone's house asleep on a windowsill.

Last week the people across the street had company. The company was not keeping a close eye on their tiny Chihuahua and it wandered into our yard. Squirt chased it clear back across the street and under a car.

Later that night my husband, who is also an animal lover, walked out into the street to say hi to one of our other neighbors, who was walking his Shitzu named Lilly. When the neighbor saw Squirt following my husband, he picked up Lilly really fast.

The funny thing is Squirt was a house cat until I met my husband. He was de-clawed as a kitten. We tried to keep him an inside cat, but he decided it wasn't fair that Parker went out and he couldn't. He actually started to spray to get attention and was let outside..

A couple of our neighbors lost their cats last year, and Squirt goes to visit them a lot. He gets petted, hugged, given treats by them, and we pay all the vet bills.

We live on a dead end street in an old neighborhood, so it's pretty quiet. As if he wasn't social enough; one night I called for him to come inside because I was getting ready to go to bed. Squirt was asleep next to a baby opossum on our front porch.

Now that he's getting a little older, he is a lot pickier about his canned food. He's been staying inside more with our dogs, but when I walk the dogs he still tags along.

Oh, and a shout out to Buddie, Prada, and Teddy, who are on Squirt's good dog list!

By CaroleeRose from Madison, AL

Squirt the cat

This is such a beautiful picture! Thank you for sharing that wonderful story, it is so sweet! I have a cat that follows me around like that. I hope he lives to be this old and happy! Blessings to you!

What a lovely photo! Squirt looks like a real sweetie, too. What a character he is! When I was a child, we had a cat who would follow us when my parents & I walked around the block after dinner in the summertime. Fittingly, his name was Shadow! Thanks for sharing Squirt's story & bringing back fond memories of Shadow.

Squirt reminds me of our cat that is a 30 lb Maine Coon named Zoe, she has to go out when we, let our toy dashund Daisy out. One time she saw a rabbit in the yard and chased after it, but failed to catch it. She thinks she is a dog, it seems. When we first got Zoe, Daisy was curious about her, - she looks like a godzilla kitty after all. Daisy learn real quick to give her space. Zoe let her know in no uncertain terms, by turning around and giving her what I call the dragon pose, w/ one of her big paws ready to swipe Daisy in the nose. I grab my toy daschund real quick. Daisy has learned to give her a wide berth. Since Zoe's hair is so long she has started to spend many hrs down in the basement. Sometimes sitting on an old chair, and sometimes in a big cardboard box. But when she hears my husband go outside she saunters up the stairs to go outside. For the most part though she is our gentle giant, that likes to have her coat brushed w/ a wide hair pick. She will jump out and onto the stool when she sees me take out the hair pick, and moves from side to side. She enjoys sitting on the back of my chair swishing her long tail in my face for attention, while I try to watch TV. I love how your cat Squirt is so fearless, and I am sure that there will never be a dull moment with him.

Squirt is a beautiful kitty, who looks like he means business -"Don't mess with me!" Your story of him reminds me of a stray who adopted us when I was a kid. She was a beautiful, pure white, very feminine kitty that we named Princess. Her looks were also very deceptive. The entire street/block belonged to her & the only dog allowed on it was ours. Any other dog came around & she jumped them, chasing them away. It was quite a sight to see a howling dog running down the street with a white cat literally riding it's back! LOL

When our daughters were small, we had a black and white Tuxedo Kitty named Boots who had his favorite dogs in the neighborhood, but those he didn't like (for whatever reason) were not allowed to come in our yard at all. He was the most patient of all the animals we ever lived with though, and would keep our 3 girls happy by putting up with being dressed in doll clothes and carried around swaddled in a baby blanket. He'd ride in their doll's baby buggie and would sit on a little chair for tea-parties.

Boots left a very empty spot in our hearts when he lost a cat fight with a very mean old tom cat that lived up the street. Fifty years ago, our pets all pretty much ran free, coming in to sleep at night with the children.

Today is very different. Our Sir Catty-Kit has never once had his feet on the ground and never will hopefully. Too many bad people, too many cars etc. Different lifestyle altogether.

I thoroughly enjoyed your story about Squirt who is a very lucky kitty to have your family. I'm sure you feel lucky to have him in your life too.

Thank you for sharing him with us.

Pets Pet PagesJune 20, 2011
Coloring Gray Hair
Coloring Gray Hair
ARDELL Gray Magic Color Additive
Ardell Gray Magic Color Additive Reviews
gray haired woman
Dyeing My Hair Gray
Soap Dispenser
Unclogging Soap Dispensers