Browsing: Removing Dog Tear Stains

Removing Tear Stains From a Dog's Eyes

Does anyone know a frugal way of safely removing tear stains from dogs' eyes? My best friend has two little Yorkies, and she said that the tear stain removal pads are very expensive. I tried Google, but only found a "recipe" that called for Milk of Magnesia and corn starch and that doesn't sound safe to me.

Thanks in advance! :-)

azDana from Tempe, AZ

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I just use a tissue and some warm water; very inexpensive and easy to use. If it's still pretty tough to get rid of you might have to cut the hair around the eye to get it out.

http://www.dog-training.com/eyecare.htm

Here I found many options at approx $7 for 5oz liquid. I used to have a white chihuahua and a bottle ould last about 3 months. I think $2.50 a month is not too expensive to keep a poochie looking her best :)

I use the piece of tissue and water too. Frankly, I think it's safer than using chemicals near their eyes. Start at the corner of the eye and wipe down and away from the eye.

The other thing to do is to make sure to wipe their eyes off at least once a day. If you get the tears before they become crusty, it's a whole lot easier to keep them looking nice.

Try baby wipes, they're mild and soft; and as long as they (or the tissues and water, or anything else, for that matter) don't come in contact with the mucous membranes, they are fine. I used to use them on my babies' faces; and know they do that at the preschool where I work. (The ones without alchohol.)

I once read that the reason dogs get the red tear stains, is because there is red dye in their food. Dogs can't even see colors--the food is tinted so that it will look more appealing to humans. If the dogs are fed food or treats with red dye, you might suggest they try switching to ones without dye and see if that helps with the problem. I have made the suggestion to several folks who had excellent results.

My pediatrician told me to use a clean cotton ball with warm water, then dry with another clean cotton ball that is dry. Wipe from inner corner to outer. I would assume you would do the same for a dog. I wouldn't be surprised about the red dye...amazing things companies do for marketing! Diamond brand dog food is great for high nutrition and no additives at a fair price, and there are recipes for homemade dog biscuits.

Diamond Eye by Vitacoat is made for that. Also, not sure of the ratios, but I think you can also make a very weak solution of water and boric acid, please double check this though before doing.

My friend has a cocker spaniel and her vet told her to use triple antibotic salve on the corners near her eyes making sure it isn't in the eye though.. It seems to help..

My vet told me to use vaseline. I put it on the stain and let it set. Now mind you the stain itself won't come out, but the gunky buildup will. Then wipe it off with a damp rag.

Mi girl, Siri, has a staining problem. I agree with kathykl, using warm water and wash cloth on a nightly basis has helped greatly. Not only is the buildup under control and the staining less, she also seems to have less irritation as well.

P.S. I bought a whole stack of washclothes just for this purpose but at a bargain price, 24 for $3.00!

HI I USED ON MY YORKIE TESSA WARM WATER COTTON BALL TO WIPE HER EYES .

Try Purifeye - www.petpurity.com - It works wonders! And its all natural so its healthy!

Give the dog a teaspoon of plain yogurt once a week it will fight the yeast that is causing the red tear stains to begin with. It will take a few weeks to notice but it will cut down on the amount. In the mean time clean the eyes with baby wipes cut into smaller sections to save on the cost.

My dog has gotten such bad stains lately. My vet said its because of the drinking water. She said I should use a Brita to filter our water which will cut down on his acidity.

Science Diet dog food has something in it that stops the coloring all together. Unfortunately it is not the best food for your dog, but it's not the worst either.

I tried cider vinegar in the water but Ozzy wouldn't drink it. Others have found that it works.

A water filter might work by reducing the the amounts of minerals in the tears. Apparently the bacteria bonds with these as they oxidise to make the red yeast stains.

I also tried raw green vegetables, these did help a bit.

in the end I coughed up for a natural cure called Angels delight from http://bichonhotel.co.uk/shop/index ... page=product_info&products_id=18

It was quite costly to begin with but once it has started working you only use it once a week.

Another alternative is tylosin but I wouldn't want to use an antibiotic on a regular basis

White vinegar, not apple cider vinegar for tear stains. A teaspoon in full bowl of drinking water. It takes about a month to start seeing results. You dog will drink it if he's thirsty. Dogs won't usually go too long without water if they are thirsty. They will drink it if it's all that's available. That's not to say that you should go for more than 3-4 hours without water. Once they drink it they do get used to it. In the meantime, you can dilute white vinegar in water and very carefully clean around eyes with a cotton swab. Do not get it in his eyes.

Once I switched to using only filtered water (Brita jug filter) in my dogs drinking bowl the tear stains disappeared.

www.petpurity.com

Warm water on a cotton ball. when giving them drinking water; no tap water but distill water instead. It's very simple but it works. I think I'll try the Vaseline idea too. It sounds like it would make the cleaning of the eye a lot easier. Thanks.

November 15, 2012 Flag

I have a darling Pomapoo! The beauty problem I have is the tears or fluid from the eyes that makes a dark reddish color under the eyes on her white fur. The pet shop recommended these $25.00 pills that included cranberries and marshmallow? Any other suggestions?

By Shelli M.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The person you need to contact is your Veterinarian to find the reason of this on-going situation. Don't be surprised if they prescribe a product called "Tear Drops" but this may not be just the cosmetic problem you are so concerned about.

Tear stains can happen from the alkalinity in your dogs body. Raw foods help, filtered water, and the whine vinegar changes the pH in the tears.

Dog Eye
Removing Dog Tear Stains
Pets Dogs GroomingMay 15, 2006
Grape juice that is splashing out of the cup.
Removing Grape Juice Stains from a Tablecloth
Rust stains around tub faucet.
Removing Rust Stains from a Bathtub
tear in right triangle piece on quilt
Repairing a Tear in a Quilt Block
White cat looking up at the camera.
Removing Tear Stains on White Cats
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 10:13:55 PM on 10.0.2.6 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.