Is Using Salt and Borax for Fleas Toxic to Cats?

How often do you have to put table salt or Borax in your carpet so that fleas won't continue multiplying? If I put Borax or salt in my carpet will it pose toxins to my cat?

I came home from my mother's place after being there for at least a month and found all this black pepper stuff on the bed and my husband said that that's where the cat slept while I was gone. So far I have found 12 fleas on me over the last two days. How do I know how long this infestation has taken place.

Fleas don't bother my husband, but they bite the hell out of me. We have had our cat for 7 years and our dog for 4 years. We have had our dog on Advantix and our cat is an indoor cat. So we did not feel the need to put her on flea control. This is the first time that we ever have had problems with fleas. Is the salt toxic to cats? What should we do?

By fleacrazy from Sacramento, CA

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Borax is not acutely toxic, but it is toxic, even to humans in large enough doses. The problem with cats or dogs is that they lick their paws & ingest the borax. I never used it around in my home around the pets or my daughter. I would think when spreading it you might inhale some. I would try a flea bomb, then air the house out thoroughly & vaccuum. Good luck.

I have had many a problems with fleas. I have 2 dogs and I had 4 cats. The only thing that works is to get your cat the same as the dog. Advantage from the vet. You may also have to take the animals out for a day and you can get a spray from the vets and bomb your house with it. They will be gone for sure. But try the advantage first I have literally seen the fleas fall off my animals dead.

Hercybaby's advice is the same I would give you, based on a lot of personal experience. Please, though, make sure you get a flea product formulated specifically for cats--don't use the same one you use on your dog.

With any luck, the fleas will continue to bite the treated animals for a few days and will die because the flea treatment in the animals' blood will kill the fleas. You probably won't have to treat your house.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Pets FleasJuly 6, 2009
Borax powder, with a measuring cup and spray bottle.
Cleaning With Borax
Borax
Buying Borax
A salt dough ornament on a Christmas tree.
Making Salt Dough Ornaments
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 9, 2016 at 12:01:53 PM on 10.0.2.223 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.