Share Crafts
Ask
Share
Newsletter
Account
About

Recipes Using Cornbread

0EmailPrintFollowSave

I seem to always have leftover cornbread. I hate for it to go in the trash once it gets too dry to eat. Besides putting it in milk and eating it or using it for stuffing, does anyone have a recipe that uses baked cornbread?

Laurie from Pahrump, NV

By

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Pam (Guest Post) 08/24/2006 Flag

Feed your old cornbread to the birds. They love it!! That's what I do with mine; they are hungry, too.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By carla bledsoe (Guest Post) 08/25/2006 Flag

you can make bread pudding with it. the texture is a little different but it works. i add extra lemon or vanilla extract since i'm not all that crazy about cinnamon.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Maryeileen 76 1,143 08/25/2006 Flag

You can freeze the leftover cornbread for future use.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By sandy 77 431 08/25/2006 Flag

i love it. my dad used to eat cornbread or anykind of bread with milk on it. is it a southern thing?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Wendy 7 74 08/25/2006 Flag

How about using it as a crumb topping on a casserole?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jennifer (Guest Post) 08/25/2006 Flag

Make croutons with it! I have had this in fancy restaurants with a salad for big bucks--it was different and tasted wonderful.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Michele (Guest Post) 08/25/2006 Flag

I freeze all left over cornbread. I use it in the summer for a squash casserole (will put recipe at the end of this) and for bean soup in the winter. You can sprinkle it on top of other casseroles like broccoli casserole.

Squash Casserole (it's really like dressing)

cornbread crumbled 1 9in pan (I use what I have)
squash (as many as you want)
onion (a large one if you like onions, smaller if you don't)
cheese (a handful)
1 egg
salt
sage (to your taste) ( I like a lot)
1 stick butter ( I use half a stick)
Cook the squash and onion until tender. Drain; Mix rest of ingriendients together with squash and onion. Place 1 stick of butter on top. Bake 35 min. at 350 degrees.

ENJOY!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Mary, Crown Point, IN (Guest Post) 08/25/2006 Flag

There are just the two of us...I ALWAYS freeze what is left, but I do it as soon as it is cool...we usually eat a half a batch, so the other half is used the next time I need to make cornbread to go with Pork Chops or whatever!!! But freeze ot while it is fresh!!!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By christi 93 320 08/25/2006 Flag

I put it on top of chili, just crumble it up. Or one of my favorite things I have done since I was a small child, I got it from my granny, heat it up and butter it and then pour a little molasses or honey or even syrup on it. It so good.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Linda 5 32 08/26/2006 Flag

Make Cornbread Salad. Google for many recipes. Pick the one you prefer. Believe me, it's yummy!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Carol in PA (Guest Post) 08/26/2006 Flag

You should be able to crumble it and use it for topping on casseroles similar to bread crumbs.

Have you thought about thinking of it as if it were corn muffins? Locally you can get corn muffins that have been buttered and toasted on a grill (or frying pan). They are so good one would say they're to "die for." (smile) If they arent sugary enough, you could always top it with jelly to make it a great treat.

good luck

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By badwater 263 654 08/26/2006 Flag

Cornbread is a Southern thing. My favorite way to eat cornbread is fresh out of the oven. Cut a piece, while it's hot, put some butter on it, MMMMM.

We also eat cornbread crumbled in bowls of southern seasoned beans, like navy beans, great northern beans, pinto beans. Can serve with a tomato/onion base relish, or a dish of chopped onion, if you desire. MMMM

Cornbread salad, I wasn't all that crazy about it. My Mom sent the recipe. They'd tried it at a family reunion event & thought it was marvelous. I used Miracle Whip instead of the mayo it called for, that might have made a difference in the texture. Give it a try for yourself, before you cull the recipe.

I didn't know cornbread could be frozen. My parents never did, but maybe because a pan of cornbread never lasted that long at home, unlike mine here for just my hubby and myself.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By badwater 263 654 08/26/2006 Flag

I just remembered, my parents like to serve cornbread with a pot of boiled cabbage. As well, with a pot of boiled turnips. How Mom & Dad eat it, is to cut a piece of cornbread, slice in in 1/2 & pour either of the veggies & the broth over it, same with the cabbage. My hubby and I only eat the beans & bean broth this way.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By (Guest Post) 08/26/2006 Flag

I freeze it the day we make it. We'll eat two slices at dinner and two at lunch the next day and the rest we'll cut into pieces and freeze in a baggie and then put those in a freezer bag (I resuse the same ones for breads etc). I do the same thing with extra biscuits.

Be sure to do this when it is FRESH! that is the key. The leftovers are perfect to go with luches of chili, soups etc

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Laurie 44 150 08/27/2006 Flag

Great Ideas! My question to Jennifer though.. how do you make the croutons?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By deb (Guest Post) 12/23/2007 Flag

here y'all go;
chop green onion and jalapeño peppers very fine
add egg and milk to bring the level in the pan over the crumbled corn bread to half way up. you can add some vanilla to fragrance the mix and make it sweet by adding a little sugar. but usually there is some sweetness in the cornbread.
bake at 350 for 30 35 minutes until puffy and golden.
you can bake these in muffin tins, loaf pan or souffle dish. buttered, of course.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By kathleen williams 76 1,661 03/15/2009 Flag

Left over cornbread makes the best chicken & dressing, I freeze it, when I need to make a good dressing I have it already cooked, good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes