Making a Record Album Cover Purse

Category Purses
These old album sleeves can be used to create a fun bag. This guide is about making a record album cover purse.

Here's a fun project. I got some cheesy record album covers from a thrift shop for 50 cents each, some vinyl, plastic tubing and grommets and made this record album cover shoulder bag.

Directions:

1. Cut the front picture off the record album covers you want to use, leaving you with a square piece of tag board.

2. Trim edges so the edges look clean and straight.

3. Measure the record album cover. Add 1 inch to the sides and bottom and add 2 inches to top.

4. Cut 4 pieces of vinyl the same size using these measurements. It should come out about 14" wide by 15" tall.

5. Place one of your album covers between two pieces of vinyl leaving one inch on each side two inches on the top. Pin in place.

6. Sew around album cover. Repeat with second album cover. Then add a hem to the top end of the vinyl on each piece, these will be the front and back of the bag.

7. Measure the length and height of the album cover including the vinyl surrounding it. Take the length measurement x2 plus the width measurement. Cut one more piece of vinyl this length and 7 inches wide (this should be around 44 inches). This will be the sides and bottom of your bag.

8. Sew a hem at one end of your long piece of vinyl (wait to do the other end until you can see that it will match up with the top of the bag on the other side). Match up hemmed edges and one of the raw edges of one of the covered album covers and your long piece of vinyl and pin.

9. Sew the two pieces together about 1/4 inch out from the album cover. The long piece of vinyl will wrap around and be sewed to three of the album cover's sides. After sewing all the way around you may need to cut a slit into the vinyl around the corners.

10. Repeat with second album cover, sewing it two the other pieces. Now you should have a bag shape.

11. Now turn the raw edges back towards the center and sew. This will make the bag look finished and is much nicer to rub your skin against.

12. Now with your grommet kit cut the holes into the top of the bag where you would like the handles to go.

13. Cut two pieces of clear tubing to the size to want your handles to be and stick the tinsel inside.

14. Cut holes in each end of the clear tubing the same way you did on the bag. The tubing is much harder to puncture with the tool but it is possible.

15. Stick a grommet in the hole of the bag and then through the tubing, making sure the ends of the handles are in the inside of the bag.

16. Now place the second piece of the grommet (which is kinda like a washer) on top.

17. With the proper tool, hammer the grommet in place.

18. Attach the other end of the tube to the other hole on the same side of the bag. Repeat on the other side.

19. The last step is to make something to fit in the bottom to make it sturdy. I decided to use the record I removed from one of the covers. To use a record for the bottom, you need a piece of wood 5" wide and at least the length of the record. The wood needs to be at least 4 inches tall or you need to set the piece on wood on top of a pan thinner than the piece of wood. This will allow the the record to drape over the sides of the wood. Cover the wood with tin foil and place it in the oven at 200 degrees F.

20. Place the record on a separate cookie sheet and put it in the oven for about 8 minutes. The record should be flexible after 8 minutes, if it is not leave it in the oven for another 2 minutes.

21. Once the record is flexible pull the oven rack out, wearing oven mitts pick up the record and center it on the piece of wood then shape it so the sides are flat and at a right angle.

22. Let cool, once cooled place in the bottom of your bag.

By Stella from Manchester, WA

Stella....this is exactly what I am looking for, only I am not a crafty person. I have a record, would you make me a bag for a price? If so please email me at nikki_scala AT yahoo.com

Record Sleeve Purse

This is my version of a record sleeve purse! I used clear vinyl with pleather background. The pleather (vinyl) is easy to use since the edges can be left raw (like polar fleece).

I would like to make a totebag for my daughter-in-law out of an old Doors Album cover. I would prefer to use a cover and cloth stitched method over the grommet constructed method but would be appreciative of any tutorials or directions for either style.

Thank-you much
Bartender0062

Have you though about getting the album cover copied to transfer paper and then putting it on cloth?

If you want to use the actual album cover and yet preserve it a bit, why not use clear plastic from a fabric store. You should be able to buy a thickness that you can machine stitch on easily. You could then sandwich the album cover between two pieces and then sew completely around it. Then, using a purchased totebag pattern or your own design, the rest of the bag could be made out of fabric such as canvas, or colored plastic to match the clear plastic weight.

I saw this done on the Carol Duvall show. Go to her website and find the directions. Have fun.

You might want to consider copying it and going from there. Depending on the condition of the album cover you might be turning a collectable worth a lot of money into a tote that will get bumped around and possibly ruined.

Can anyone give me the instructions on how to make a record album purse with the actual vinyl album?

Teresa from Amarillo, TX

If you are still looking for instructions, I'd be happy to share. What size record are you using? I have several patterns for 45's, 78's and 33's.

You can see examples on my blog

http://princess  ad.blogspot.com/

Does anyone know how to make a purse with a record cover and cowhide? I saw one at the rodeo and would like to try to make one. It was just the front cover of the album and the sides were cowhide and the bottom and back of the purse were cowhide.

By Kristy from Cedar Park, TX

I sure would like the instructions for making a record album purse, using the record itself, for one of the sides. These would make great Christmas gifts.

Thanks,
Joni from Colstrip, MT

Answers:

Record Album Purse

Joni, Look at the "do it yourself / diy tv channels website. On a show called "Stylelicious" they made a "erecord bowl purse." Very Cute. (11/17/2006)

By Becky

Record Album Purse

http://www.digsmagazine.com/lounge/lounge_recordcraft.htm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A821053
(04/05/2007)

By Chris

Record Album Purse

Here's one we have on ThriftyFun

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf81185662.tip.html (04/29/2007)

By ThriftyFun

Record Album Purse

I make record purses and have been selling them. If you're interested I am taking orders. $40 any record.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k294/lla7xll/CIMG0994.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k294/lla7xll/CIMG0987.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k294/lla7xll/CIMG0887.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k294/lla7xll/CIMG0891.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k294/lla7xll/CIMG0889.jpg
Just for an idea. All purses are durable, handmade and one of a kind.
Email me if you are interested! untilyourealive AT yahoo.com (06/11/2007)

By Jennifer