Decorating a Styrofoam Ball for a Doll's Face

Somewhere on your web site I came across an old request on how to decorate a vase to look like a doll. Well, I'm having a problem with this same idea. I have a 4" styrofoam ball that I need to make a face on that fits the vase perfectly for the head. My question is, what can I use to cover the ball with? I tried socks, painting over them (no success there), paper mache, but that's not looking to good so far. I also need to paint, draw, or attach some features to this ball. I need help there too. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tea Lady from New Hampshire

Try a nylon stocking or knee-hi.

Try drawing the features lightly on the ball; hot glue white shapes of the thickness you want in those places.Using an orange stick from a manicure kit or the end of an artist's paint brush to refine and create features after covering the ball with a nylon knee sock. Use spay adhesive to cover the area and smooth the material over and around the underlying shapes you have made. (The eyelides, for example can be built out, the material smoothed in, a "jewel" inserted, and the white painted after it is completed, with a tiny black or blue line creating depth around (under) the lid. Hope this makes sense and helps. It may take two socks in separate applications to please you.

I make scarecrow dolls for the fall and use a nylon knee high over styrofoam ball for the head. the features can be pressed in easily and other parts suck as cheeks and lips raised with tiny pieces of cotton batting. Hope this helps

Crafts Toys DollmakingMarch 26, 2006
Styrofoam Ice Chest
Crafts Using Styrofoam Ice Chests
Styrofoam Packing Peanuts
Recycling Styrofoam
Styrofoam Ball Ornament
Styrofoam Ball Ornament Ideas
How to Paint Styrofoam
How to Paint Styrofoam
🎉
🎄