Using Mod Podge on Styrofoam

Before decoupaging a Styrofoam ball you may want to apply a paint designed for use on this material, even if it is only a base coat that you cover with other decorative treatments such as glitter. This is a page about using Mod Podge on Styrofoam.

This is my first time using modge podge. I painted the mod podge onto my Stryofoam ball and sprinkled glitter on it. The whole color of the ball changed. Does the mod podge dry clear and the color that I had sprayed on the ball come thru? Any help would be appreciated as the craft store sells, but never teaches. Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

I believe the problem may be that your first coat(s) of paint did not seal the Styrofoam properly so the coating was not sufficient to seal the color in.
Here is a suggestion on sealing Styrofoam with paint. Maybe try something like this before putting your Mod Podge and glitter coatings.

Styrofoam safe paints: You will have a hard time using a brush given the rough surface. You might need to use a cloth or something similar to work the paint into all the holes. Let it dry and repeat the process. It will get easier each time as it gets smoother. Water and Acrylic paints apparently work just fine here.

I am wondering if you can use mod podge to stick beads to polysterene?

Answers

Simple craft glues can be used to glue beads to polystyrene with no problem at all. It normally takes 24 hours for the glue to dry. Therefore, you should have no problem at all if you want to use mod podge to glue the beads to your project.

How heavy are the beads?If they're heavier, use a lighter gel type craft glue. If they are regular small ones, should be fine.

I would try a few beads with the Modge Podge. If they stick, go ahead and finish the project. If not, buy a stronger glue.

I would not use Mod Podge. Their website has no mention of being able to use it with polysterene.

You are best off to use a two component epoxies bond if you want something that is going to last. Be sure to do this an a well-ventilated area. This stuff is nasty. Wear gloves too, and eye protection.

I have worked with Polysterene in assisted living facilities and after many trials (and errors) we found that better success (especially if you want the project to last (and look good) for some time it is best to use glue made for this use.

Some glues will melt the Polysterene and some will hold items for a short time and later items just fall off.
The 2-part glues may work but I do not like working with them so I just buy the right glue to start with.

www.wikihow.com/Glue-Styrofoam

www.ehow.com/way_5188456_kind-glue-can-used-styrofoam_...

You can find correct glues at craft stores like Jo Ann's or Micheal's but many stores have craft supplies now also.

Here is an example of what you can get online.

www.google.com/search?q=Polystyrene+glue&client...

Crafts AdviceMay 17, 2018
🌻
🎂
🎃